Change Properties of a Text Form Field to have numbers display in currency format RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on a form and I have inserted a Text Form Field under Legacy Forms. In that field I would like to have the numbers that are enter converted into currency format ($#,###.00). I went into to Properties and changed Type to Number and Number Format to $#,###.00;($#,###.00). However, after I clicked ok and inserted number in that field, it just appeared as what I typed, without the comma and the dolloar sign. I was also trying to have this field to display in another part of the form. I checked "calculate on exit" in Properties of this field, then I typed in the ctrl+F9 function in the place I want it to duplicate, but I couldn't make it happen. Can someone please help me as of why the Properties setting do not hold.

Thank you!!!

Friday, June 24, 2011 8:48 PM

All replies

• After you set up the legacy form fields and other fields in the document, you must protect the document for forms. Then it operates as you expected.

To protect the document, you can click the Protect Document button (in Word 2007) or Restrict Editing button (in Word 2010)  on the Developer tab to open the Restrict Editing and Formatting pane; check the box for "Allow only this type of editing"; and choose "Filling in forms" in the dropdown.

A quicker way is to go to the Customize Quick Access Toolbar dialog and add the Lock command (from the All Commands category) to the toolbar; that button toggles the protection on and off.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    Friday, June 24, 2011 11:59 PM
  • Hi Jay,

Thank you for your respond. I tried protecting the document and it still wouldn't work. I set up everything in properties and set the protection to filling in forms and I clicked on start enforcing protection. I put in the password as instructed, then I put in the number in the text form field and it still display as whatever I put in, without the comma. Would the text form field usually go back to a shaded box when I delete the stuff I have typed? I notice that after I type in the number and it didn't come up with the commas, I use backspace to delete the content and the field would be gone. I wonder if this has anything to do with my problem.

Anyone can help?

Thanks again!

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:17 PM