none
Media Player / Movie player RRS feed

• Question

• The company I work for sells software that records video of interviews at law enforcement facilities. We have been installing our software on first windows 7 and now windows 10. We record files in the mp4 format. The update to version 1903 caused us to be unable to play recording created prior to the update. We can move the files to a computer that has not been updated and play the files on several systems I have even been able to recover to the previous version and restore functionality. I have tested every codec installer I could find as well as using VLC to play the files which is limited to play only without ffwd or rewind. Mp4 files created with the same software post 1903 update are able to play. I was even able to do a straight conversion using ffmpeg from .mp4 to .mp4 which made the file playable however this changes the creation date which is no acceptable as these files are evidence. Cases can some times take a long time to get to court and files that were submitted may not play properly due to this update.
    Monday, December 16, 2019 10:33 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, VLC doesn't support frame-stepping backwards; it's only possible to move forward.

You may kindly go through the following article:

How to Go Frame by Frame in VLC

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 12:56 AM
  • If 1903 version makes your software unable to play recording created prior to the update, It should be a compatibility issue. Try to run the software under compatibility mode or pause current update. Wait for the new update.

Besides, the latest version of Windows 10 is 1909, you may upgrade to this version then test situation.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 2:38 AM