Windows Update problem RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded from Vista 64 to W7 64. In W7, running Windows update I get two errors (800B0100, 80073712). There is a lot of info out there regarding how to solve these. I have spent a lot of time following what others have done but to no avail. I suspect that I have registry problems (the solutions deal a lot with this area). One element that caused me issues during the upgrade was that the latest Vista monitor driver quit working in the middle of this excercise. So I could not see any messages after that. Only after I booted W7 in 640 X 480 resolution mode was I able to download / install the W7 drivers and see my screen. So, its possible that I have other issues since I could not see my screen during the upgrade.

Question1 - Do you think that another upgrade (doing it again) now that my drivers work, be a possible solution to the above errors?

Question2 - As a last resort I could perform a clean install of W7. Can this be done from an upgrade CD?

Thanks,  Bob  

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Della,

Thanks for your tips. Actually, I had previously done all of the above, to no avail. I ran CC cleaner (report only) and it showed hundreds of Registry errors. I decide to run another W7 upgrade with the thought that now that the monitor driver is working, maybe it'll be ok this time. This I did and the second upgrade went well and all the previous errors disappeared. Over 70 fixes went on with no hitch.

Lessons learned - An in-place upgrade goes a long way to cleaning up system file issues. The only better option is a clean install, which causes a lot of back-end work.

Bob

• Proposed as answer by Zaid Al-Hakkem Friday, March 16, 2012 6:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, April 4, 2012 7:58 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Error codes 800B0100 and 80073712 can be caused by corrupted system components, you can perform an In-place Upgrade with the upgrade CD again to repair the current system.

1. How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

If you do not want to perform an In-place Upgrade, I suggest you perform the following steps to resolve this issue.

1. Run sfc /scannow to check your system.

2. Download and install System Update Readiness tool for your OS
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

3. Use the followng  Hotfix to reset Windows Update Components
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

4. As a test, temporarily disable all security softwares. (Please enable them after troubleshooting)

Once done, check again.
    Also please compress the file --- C:\Windows\ windowsupdate.log, upload the file via SkyDrive and post a link here. Then we could analyze the problem deeply through this log.
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive?wa=wsignin1.0

Best regards,
    Della Li

• Edited by Della Li Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:36 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Hi Della,

Thanks for your tips. Actually, I had previously done all of the above, to no avail. I ran CC cleaner (report only) and it showed hundreds of Registry errors. I decide to run another W7 upgrade with the thought that now that the monitor driver is working, maybe it'll be ok this time. This I did and the second upgrade went well and all the previous errors disappeared. Over 70 fixes went on with no hitch.

Lessons learned - An in-place upgrade goes a long way to cleaning up system file issues. The only better option is a clean install, which causes a lot of back-end work.

Bob

• Proposed as answer by Zaid Al-Hakkem Friday, March 16, 2012 6:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, April 4, 2012 7:58 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:47 PM