none
Can I isolate Project Web App to it's own extended web application? RRS feed

• Question

• I have on-premise SharePoint 2016.  Currently we have Project Server deployed within the SharePoint web application.  Since it is licensed separately I would like to use an extended web application to isolate Project Server from SharePoint.  Is this supported?  If so, I quick instruction would be much appreciated.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6:50 PM

All replies

• Hmm, a detailed topic question warrants a complicated answer - but the simple answer is yes, it used to be  supported, but NO DON'T DO THIS.  That is not the right way to accomplish this.

Possibly you have created PWA using the Wizard - which defaults to put PWA into the default Web App it creates on port 80.  Not good.

You want have a separate SharePoint WEB APP - that hosts PWA and isolates from other SP Web Apps - that is the preferred method.  You will likely need some PowerShell.

Host Headers on a new Web App is the correct way to accomplish - not extended web.

make a new web application - using host header names so you can reuse port 80.

create your own content DB specifically for PWA (in fact, new in PS 2016, Project Server tables are inside a content DB)

overall the correct way to treat all of SharePoint web applications is with Host Headers - and you may even want to check out Host Header Named Site Collections - if you expect to have many site collections rather than many Web Applications (MS recommends no more than 10-20 web apps at most but supports thousands of site collections)

I hope this helps,

Eric @ Pcubed

Thanks, Eric S. Pcubed

Friday, April 5, 2019 7:04 PM