none
USB disconnects concurrent with "The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission..." RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Focusrite 2i2 digital audio interface connected to my Intel NUC running Windows 10 via USB.

At irregular intervals -- whether or not I'm actively playing audio -- the interface disconnects and reconnects (accompanied by a loud "thump" in my speakers), the Focusrite notifier appears briefly on the screen as it reconnects, and I find a message like this in the Windows 10 event viewer:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
     and APPID
    {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
     to the user NUC-10\r SID (S-1-5-21-536779190-3799164095-2931312429-1002) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.18362.449_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

As yet, Focusrite technical support has not been able to resolve the issue.  (And yes, I've updated drivers, adjusted sound and USB settings, etc.).  So I have two questions:

1. Does that message indicate the cause of the disconnect?  Or is it more likely triggered when the USB device reconnects?

2. What do you suggest for finding the cause of the USB disconnects and/or resolving the problem?

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 3:49 PM

Answers

• Ultimately, the issue was caused by faulty hardware: I replaced it with a new unit and I'm no longer seeing the disconnects.  So *this* is the real answer.  Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 1:44 PM

All replies

• Hello,

For your question 1, I don't think Event Viewer error 10016 is related to those symptoms.

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4022522/dcom-event-id-10016-is-logged-in-windows-10-windows-server, Microsoft says:

"These events can be safely ignored because they do not adversely affect functionality and are by design. This is the recommend action for these events."

If you still like to fix, refer this guide:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-event-10016-error-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activation-permission-in-windows-10

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Wednesday, January 1, 2020 5:31 AM
  • Hi, 

I don't think this USB disconnect issue related with 10016 code. But we could take owner of the CLSID and APPID with the link below to resolve 10016 issue, after that we might could see USB issue will be left alone.

Event ID 10016 The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

For USB issue, I would recommend to update your system to the latest version through Settings\Update & Security\Windows Update, then uninstall the existing audio driver and USB driver, go to device manufacturer website to download the latest driver to check again.

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 1, 2020 7:15 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

Best regards,
    Joy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 3, 2020 9:47 AM
  • I realized that the Windows event viewer message was about the Focusrite notifier window, and as such, was not the cause of the disconnect.  So I don't need to fix that.  In the meantime, I'm fairly sure the disconnect issue is associated with the Focusrite hardware: I connected it to my macOS computer, and it still has the same disconnect issues.

So I'm closing this issue for now.

Friday, January 3, 2020 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

For saving other customers' searching time, please mark useful reply as answer.

Bests,

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:48 AM
  • Ultimately, the issue was caused by faulty hardware: I replaced it with a new unit and I'm no longer seeing the disconnects.  So *this* is the real answer.  Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 1:44 PM