none
Interent Explorer11 Keeps Crashing RRS feed

• Question

• I have several computers that keep crashing on IE11. This only happens on Internet Explorer 11 and not on Firefox or Chrome. I have tried several solutions to fix this stubborn problem but can’t seem to get rid of the webpage error or page can’t be displayed message. The short term fix seems to work by restarting the computer or using InPrivate Browsing. If anyone has seen this issue please let me know.

Thanks,

Brad S.

Monday, July 25, 2016 6:20 PM

Answers

• Hi IT Brad,

Lots of good suggestions you have already tried. In addition, we could boot in Clean Boot to avoid the effects of third party software and temporarily turn off the security software. Also we could use the command “sfc /scannow” to repair the files.

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 28, 2016 9:39 AM

All replies

• kb/3087038 Cannot fing the download link for this; been all over the place with NO specific results.

Copier Guy

Monday, July 25, 2016 7:31 PM
  • Copier Guy,

Are you stating this KB will address my IE issues?

Monday, July 25, 2016 8:52 PM
  • I have several computers that keep crashing on IE11. This only happens on Internet Explorer 11 and not on Firefox or Chrome. I have tried several solutions to fix this stubborn problem but can’t seem to get rid of the webpage error or page can’t be displayed message. The short term fix seems to work by restarting the computer or using InPrivate Browsing. If anyone has seen this issue please let me know.

Thanks,

Brad S.

@Brad,

a 'Crashing' IE browser is indicative of an incompatible addon. On a troublesome client, go Start>Event Viewer>Windows logs>Application and filter for error events.

Inside the event record there is a an item for "Faulting application module" which should give you the name of the faulting addon. Please post the event record for further assistance....

In general the first step in troubleshooting web browser issues/crashes is to first test in noAddons mode....Start>Run>iexplorer.exe -extoff

If possible also include the full address of any websites that you are having problems with your questions.... eg. youtube would hint that there is an issue with your Adobe Flash installation or that the user has changed the default setting on the advanced tab of Internet Options (check "Use software rendering instead of GPU").

If it is always an intranet site that is causing the crashes, then check that the domain is mapped to the IE Intranet security zone (File>Properties menu) and that the user is accepting the default security zone settings (Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default").

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:09 AM
  • If the problem persists it may help to see all the modules loaded during a crash.

Can you download and run the following application (AppCrashView):

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

Click on one of the recent iexplore.exe errors.

Can you copy and paste the information that appears in the lower window that has loaded modules.

• Edited by auggyMVP Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:38 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:38 AM
  • Hello IECustomizer! 

I have tried disabling add-ons in the past only to enable the ones I need. I have  previously uninstalled IE11, removed Adobe Flash and installed IE11 with all the updates. This process takes some time but it appears to temporarily fix IE until pages fail to load or not respond. 

We do have issues with Youtube.com, msn.com and login.microsoft.com. I suspect most of my IE11 problems may be the result of Shockwave since website we visit use Flash/Shockwave. I did verify and I do not currently have checked to “use software rendering instead of GPU rendering”.

Listed below are two common occurrences I discovered in the Windows logs under applications.

Error

The program IEXPLORE.EXE version 11.0.9600.18377 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 2758

Start Time: 01d1e67ce87d73e8

Termination Time: 75

Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

Report Id:

Information

Fault bucket 310659402, type 30

Event Name: AppHangXProcB1

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: iexplore.exe

P2: 11.0.9600.18377

P3: 575afa93

P4: 90ed

P5: 131201

P6: taskhost.exe

P7: 0.0.0.0

P8:

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Users\parts01\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA327.tmp.appcompat.txt

C:\Users\parts01\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA357.tmp.version.xml

C:\Users\parts01\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA396.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\Users\parts01\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Critical_iexplore.exe_7f78ae1945984e0ac9d507dc68137b8bd26e49_17c2a76b

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 51bfab32-5271-11e6-b14c-d43d7ecb2f59

Thanks for your feedback and I’m looking forward to hearing back from you.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 3:51 AM
  • Hello auggy!

Please see the complied information and advise.

Version=1

EventType=AppHangXProcB1

EventTime=131136683371263898

ReportType=1

Consent=1

UploadTime=131136683373794151

ReportIdentifier=a1e851dc-5011-11e6-9c44-448a5b040696

IntegratorReportIdentifier=a1e851dd-5011-11e6-9c44-448a5b040696

WOW64=1

Response.BucketId=310523642

Response.BucketTable=30

Response.type=4

Sig[0].Name=Application Name

Sig[0].Value=iexplore.exe

Sig[1].Name=Application Version

Sig[1].Value=11.0.9600.18377

Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp

Sig[2].Value=575afa93

Sig[3].Name=Hang Signature

Sig[3].Value=1289

Sig[4].Name=Hang Type

Sig[4].Value=131200

Sig[5].Name=Waiting on Application Name

Sig[5].Value=dllhost.exe

Sig[6].Name=Waiting on Application Version

Sig[6].Value=0.0.0.0

DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version

DynamicSig[1].Value=6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID

DynamicSig[2].Value=1033

DynamicSig[22].Name=Additional Hang Signature 1

DynamicSig[22].Value=12890891182a47933be15879f80ff4bf

DynamicSig[23].Name=Additional Hang Signature 2

DynamicSig[23].Value=bb4c

DynamicSig[24].Name=Additional Hang Signature 3

DynamicSig[24].Value=bb4cac0895a4f45a5884f107f0bda293

DynamicSig[25].Name=Additional Hang Signature 4

DynamicSig[25].Value=1289

DynamicSig[26].Name=Additional Hang Signature 5

DynamicSig[26].Value=12890891182a47933be15879f80ff4bf

DynamicSig[27].Name=Additional Hang Signature 6

DynamicSig[27].Value=bb4c

DynamicSig[28].Name=Additional Hang Signature 7

DynamicSig[28].Value=bb4cac0895a4f45a5884f107f0bda293

UI[3]=fmmotorparts.com is not responding

UI[4]=If you close the program, you might lose information.

UI[5]=Close the program

UI[6]=Close the program

UI[7]=Close the program

State[0].Key=Transport.DoneStage1

State[0].Value=1

State[1].Key=DataRequest

State[1].Value=Bucket=310523642/nBucketTable=30/nResponse=1/n

FriendlyEventName=Stopped responding and was closed

ConsentKey=AppHangXProcB1

AppName=Internet Explorer

AppPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

ReportDescription=A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 4:36 AM
  • Seems taskhost.exe and dllhost.exe are affecting Internet Explorer.

Can you provide the following information :

Windows Key + R > type eventvwr in the "Open" box > OK > expand "Custom Views" and then right-click "Administrative Events" > select "Save all events in Custom View As" and save as an .evtx file

Then make the resulting .evtx file available via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site.

Here's a couple of links on using OneDrive (SkyDrive):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/skydrive/add-photos-files-faq

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/onedrive/share-file-folder

• Edited by auggyMVP Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:50 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:49 PM
  • @Brad, in reply to your response....

We do have issues with Youtube.com, msn.com and login.microsoft.com. I suspect most of my IE11 problems may be the result of Shockwave since website we visit use Flash/Shockwave. I did verify and I do not currently have checked to “use software rendering instead of GPU rendering”.

1. “use software rendering instead of GPU rendering”. Takes affect AFTER you restart your computer... Please do so.

2. Which websites are using Shockwave Flash? Can you provide their web address please for us to investigate.... (YT, MSN etc use Adobe Flash, Shockwave flash is 18 years old and is no longer supported (they were sold to Adobe). On intranets you should update your intranet sites to use <object> tags with <embed> fallbacks and remove the CLISID and codebase attributes...Adobe Flash is usually pre-installed with your OEM windows build. (note: this forum is for IT Professionals (System Administrators, Help Desk Support), that manage computers on domain networks (work computers)... For Home users please repost to http://answers.microsoft.com)

3. If you have not already done so run a windows update. This will update your installed windows software (windows, iexplorer and office products) , Adobe Flash and your device drivers (display, printer, mouse etc)

"I have tried disabling add-ons in the past only to enable the ones I need. I have  previously uninstalled IE11, removed Adobe Flash and installed IE11 with all the updates. This process takes some time but it appears to temporarily fix IE until pages fail to load or not respond. "

You should not 'remove' (or delete) software, it has to be uninstalled to (sometimes) correctly remove all of its components... (Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs).... it would appear that you may have fubar'ed your machine.... Do you have a restore point?

If things are TEMPORIAILY fixed, then they are being unfixed by something in your windows startup list (malware).... Please run Windows Defender or your installed Malware program. If you have a Home edition of windows, you cannot manually disable items on the windows startup list (msconfig.exe).

Regards.

see also

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/apphangxprocb1-help/6d564f2e-21a9-4560-a3f0-1d0edfab688e

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/apphangxprocb1-issue/9fb67640-7bc8-49c5-aa3d-68c0b52b7768

Include with your questions @answers, your windows and IE versions and the name of your AV product eg. Nortons/Malaware bytes.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 12:10 AM
  • Hello Rob, Thanks for the your response. I will enable software rendering/GPU rendering and see what happens. In addition I have noticed Shockwave enabled in IE11 when having browser issues. However, browser add-ons shows Shockwave as blocked. I will find what websites we are accessing using Shockwave and reply back. Just to reaffirm, I do uninstall programs and would never delete them since I know the consequences. I also wanted to mention the problems I am experiencing with IE11 are in fact work environment problems. I am a Systems Engineer for my employer. Again, I greatly appreciate all of your expertise. I will make the necessary changes in IE11 and update you with my results. Thanks again!!
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 2:03 AM
  • Hi IT Brad,

Lots of good suggestions you have already tried. In addition, we could boot in Clean Boot to avoid the effects of third party software and temporarily turn off the security software. Also we could use the command “sfc /scannow” to repair the files.

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 28, 2016 9:39 AM
  • We reverted back to Adobe Flashplayer 25, and remove Adobe Flash player 26 (Also, disable Adobe Flashplayer updates when you reinstall Adobe Flashplayer 25) That worked for us
    Friday, June 16, 2017 7:28 PM
  • This is great, but what steps did you use to revert? Thanks.

tnjman

Monday, November 20, 2017 12:16 AM
  • Okay, there are about 5 versions of "25" - which specific version of Flash 25 did you revert to?

tnjman

Monday, November 20, 2017 12:21 AM
  • Easy when you've found a fix thus,

Open Internet Explore & type the required web address in address bar, DO NOT PRESS ENTER, then

Click on 'Tools' tab, then

Select 'Internet Options' on drop down, then

Click on 'Security' tab, then

Select 'Trusted Sites' & click on 'Sites' to open trusted sites.  In the window 'Add this Website to the zone' this should show the required web address you typed into the web address bar, then,

Click on 'Add' & close this window & click on 'OK' to close 'Internet Options'.

Hope this helps, it did for me after trying other suggestions.

Dicky18

Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:32 AM