Con creating recovery points for one member RRS feed

• Question

• I have one protection group on a dpm2010 server. I have 2 sql2008 db in that group. the group is set to create recoverypoint every 15 minutes and an express full every night.  DPM creates a recoverypoint every 15minutes as expected for one member but not the other.  It does create the nightly full as expected for both though.    I do not even see that the recoverpoint is schedlued for th the one DB.  no alerts failure alrts either.

• Changed type MarcReynolds Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:44 PM
    • Changed type MarcReynolds Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:44 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM will only schedule incremental backups for SQL databases that are configured for Full recovery model.

DPM determines the recovery-model/log-shipping of a database during protection (initial replication). Hence it is during protection that DPM determines whether to create incremental backups jobs for these databases or not. If the recovery-model of the database (or log-shipping configuration) changes after protection, DPM has no way of knowing about it as it does not inquire about these properties again during the phase of backups. Thus if incremental backups were disabled for some databases (are in simple recovery model) then they will remain so throughout their protection. In the case of change of recovery-model or log-shipping configuration of a database, the user will need to stop protection of that database and re-protect the database so that DPM now configures backup jobs accordingly.

Changing the Recovery Model of a Database
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808756.aspx

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by romualdt Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:22 PM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:14 AM