Windows Updates lost my Documents RRS feed

• Question

• When my pc automatically updated when I went into my saved documents all my word documents and excel spreadsheet documents had vanished how can I get then back as they are very important documents and why did they vanish after an update was installed? 
    Sunday, December 20, 2015 3:55 PM

Answers

• Windows 10?

Same thing happened to me. If you can, leave you computer on, take a breath. Go do something else. Eventually it will remember that you really want that stuff.

Mine was gone for four hours during a work day. Luckily I had another computer to use.

If you really need it right now, write back and I'll try to help you find it. It is still there on your computer in a different user profile than the one you are in.

That is, if what is happening to you is what happened to me. If so, and you had any custom Word or Excel settings, those are (temporarily) missing as well.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Sunday, December 20, 2015 7:52 PM

All replies

• Windows 10?

Same thing happened to me. If you can, leave you computer on, take a breath. Go do something else. Eventually it will remember that you really want that stuff.

Mine was gone for four hours during a work day. Luckily I had another computer to use.

If you really need it right now, write back and I'll try to help you find it. It is still there on your computer in a different user profile than the one you are in.

That is, if what is happening to you is what happened to me. If so, and you had any custom Word or Excel settings, those are (temporarily) missing as well.

Sunday, December 20, 2015 7:52 PM
  • WINDOWS UPDATE ELIMINATED MY PRINTER AND MY MICROSOFT WORD (BOUGHT) PROGRAM. I AM UNABLE TO ACCESS ANY OF MY DOCUMENTS> I AM GOING TO SUE THEM FOR A LOT OF MONEY. I WILL NEVER BUY INTO THEIR BULL SHIT AGAIN
    Monday, January 18, 2016 11:39 PM
  • The printer may need an updated driver for Windows 10. Go to the manufacturer's web site and search for a driver.

To locate Office programs in Windows, see https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Can-t-find-Office-applications-in-Windows-10-Windows-8-or-Windows-7-907ce545-6ae8-459b-8d9d-de6764a635d6?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 11:00 AM
  • WINDOWS UPDATE ELIMINATED MY PRINTER AND MY MICROSOFT WORD (BOUGHT) PROGRAM. I AM UNABLE TO ACCESS ANY OF MY DOCUMENTS> I AM GOING TO SUE THEM FOR A LOT OF MONEY. I WILL NEVER BUY INTO THEIR BULL SHIT AGAIN

Windows updates do not remove things from your computer. They sometimes make them difficult to find or use. See my reply above. Yes, this is very frustrating. Good luck on that suit.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 1:17 PM
  • How do i find the document ? i know this i very old message, but I hope you can help me :( 

Thursday, March 1, 2018 7:03 PM
  • Where was the lost document originally saved? Locally on your computer? On a network location? Or in OneDrive or some other cloud storage location?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:52 AM