Export Mailbox using Exchange Management Console RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a reason I do not see the Export Mailbox option in Exchange Management Console? Like the below link shows? Am I missing something? My account is a full Exchange Administrator

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/management-administration/exporting-mailboxes-content-using-exchange-management-console.html

I would like to wipe out an account after it exports without deleting and recreating the account and I believe this option might work but I am not seeing the options?

Any advice?

Jessica Cochran

Thursday, June 7, 2012 12:32 PM

Answers

• Never made it EMC for RTM.

After SP1 use:

New-MailboxExportRequest

• Marked as answer by Zi Feng Friday, June 15, 2012 2:33 AM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:45 PM
  • Is there an easy way to completely wipe the mailbox ? 

Jessica Cochran

If you want to empty the contents and leave the mailbox intact using powershell, then search-mailbox is the way to go.

Example:

Search-Mailbox -Identity user  -SearchQuery "Received:> $('01/01/1990 00:00:00') and Received:< $('12/21/2012 23:59:59')" –DeleteContent

If you want to start all over with a new mailbox, disable it and then mailbox enable it again.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:24 PM
  • "If you want to start all over with a new mailbox, disable it and then mailbox enable it again."

This is actually what I have been doing and it is causing all sorts of problems because people depend on their cached information and when they send to an account that i have done this with it causes NDR messages.

Jessica Cochran

In that case, the legacyExchangeDN is being changed on the newly enabled mailbox. If you want to continue using this method, make note of the existing mailbox alias ( mailnickname) and ensure the newly created mailbox has the same legacyExchangeDN. If that is not possible ( i.e. the original mailboxes were created in 2003 or earlier), then make note of the existing legacyExchangeDN value before disabling the mailbox, and then add it as a custom X500 address to the account after you mailbox enable it.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:33 PM

All replies

• Never made it EMC for RTM.

After SP1 use:

New-MailboxExportRequest

Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:45 PM
  • I have been using that command I am just trying to see if there is a command line that I am able to clear the mailbox after it is exported.

Jessica Cochran

Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:57 PM
  • I have been using that command I am just trying to see if there is a command line that I am able to clear the mailbox after it is exported.

Jessica Cochran

If you want to delete the content of a mailbox ( I think that is what you asking), then use the search-mailbox command after doing the export

Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:08 PM

Jessica Cochran

Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:19 PM

Jessica Cochran

If you want to empty the contents and leave the mailbox intact using powershell, then search-mailbox is the way to go.

Example:

Search-Mailbox -Identity user  -SearchQuery "Received:> $('01/01/1990 00:00:00') and Received:< $('12/21/2012 23:59:59')" –DeleteContent

If you want to start all over with a new mailbox, disable it and then mailbox enable it again.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:24 PM
  • "If you want to start all over with a new mailbox, disable it and then mailbox enable it again."

This is actually what I have been doing and it is causing all sorts of problems because people depend on their cached information and when they send to an account that i have done this with it causes NDR messages.

Jessica Cochran

Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:26 PM

Jessica Cochran

In that case, the legacyExchangeDN is being changed on the newly enabled mailbox. If you want to continue using this method, make note of the existing mailbox alias ( mailnickname) and ensure the newly created mailbox has the same legacyExchangeDN. If that is not possible ( i.e. the original mailboxes were created in 2003 or earlier), then make note of the existing legacyExchangeDN value before disabling the mailbox, and then add it as a custom X500 address to the account after you mailbox enable it.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:33 PM
  • One other approach you can use is to re-home the mailboxes.
    Example: Get-Mailbox USER | Set-mailbox -database "Some other Database"

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope

Thursday, June 7, 2012 4:57 PM
  • Hi Jessica

I suggest following the step via the below link

Exporting Mailboxes content using Exchange Management Console

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/management-administration/exporting-mailboxes-content-using-exchange-management-console.html

Cheers

Zi Feng

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 8, 2012 7:44 AM
  • I don't have an option for Export Mailbox 

Jessica Cochran

Friday, June 8, 2012 12:54 PM
  • Hi

Did you try any other suggestion above

Cheers

Zi Feng

TechNet Community Support