What should be the Preferred DNS Server for a new DNS Server or for a new forest? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Before installing and configuring DNS and AD on Windows Server 2012 R2, I need to understand,

'What should be the Preferred DNS Server for a new DNS Server or for a new forest?'

Scenario 1: Windows Server 2012 R2 is as a Host OS.

Scenario 2: Windows Server 2012 R2 is as a Guest OS on VMware Workstation.

Please guide me for both scenarios.

I did Google Search and I found three options; either 127.0.0.1 (loopback address) or 8.8.8.8 or IP address assigned to the server. In case of Loopback address, why Loopback address is used as the Preferred DNS Server?

Regards
    InTech

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 6:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• As a workgroup server if internet access is needed then most likely you could use your ISP's or most any public DNS. If the VM is a AD integrated domain controller then it should have it's own address as primary and 127.0.0.1 as secondary (assumes a single DC) Loopback is only used as secondary.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff807362%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 6:58 PM
  • Hi,

>>'What should be the Preferred DNS Server for a new DNS Server or for a new forest?'

Scenario 1: Windows Server 2012 R2 is as a Host OS.

Scenario 2: Windows Server 2012 R2 is as a Guest OS on VMware Workstation.

In most cases, it's not a good idea to install other roles on a server running the VM server role.If you just have one server,and want to implement several Virtual Machines on it,we prefer the scenario 2.

And for DNS best practice,after you finish the configuration,to run a best practices scan is a good choice.You could follow this link:

Run Best Practices Analyzer Scans and Manage Scan Results

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831400(v=ws.11).aspx

tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:38 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see if the problem has been resolved. If there's anything you'd like to know, don't hesitate to ask.

tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 7:28 AM