UPgrade to SCCM 1602 from SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 Now can't create a user or device collection RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone see this problem with the Device or User Creation Wizard, If so how did you fix it ?

No matter what I do, I get the same error and the collection is not created in SCCM 1602

The Create Device Collection Wizard Completed with errors

Error SMS Provider reported an error

General

• Collection Name SCCM Console
    • Comment Console update

Member Ship rules

• (Include) All Unknown Computers

It doesn't matter what rules I use, I get a error for any new collection I am trying to create.

• Edited by SETA IT Friday, May 20, 2016 10:50 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 10:49 PM

Answers

• Yes, I did some more checking and found reference to the SMSProv.log.  I found when trying to create the Device collection I am getting a format error in the SQL server and .net frame work errors.  I checked and we have the correct version of .Net installed on server, so I am guessing I may need to contact Microsoft or a tool that will correct the database errors.  I am not a SQL admin, so I would not know what to do.  Here is the error below and thank you for your replies:

*** [42000][6522][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "fnConvertHexStringToBinary": ~~System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.~~System.FormatException: ~~   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)~~   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at System.Byte.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SQLCLR.SMSUtil.ConvertHexStringToBinary(SqlString sdmBinaryString)~~. : sp_SMSGetNextID SMS Provider 5/23/2016 8:55:31 AM 3748 (0x0EA4)
    *~*~[42000][6522][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "fnConvertHexStringToBinary": ~~System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.~~System.FormatException: ~~   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)~~   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at System.Byte.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SQLCLR.SMSUtil.ConvertHexStringToBinary(SqlString sdmBinaryString)~~. : sp_SMSGetNextID     ThreadID : 3748 , DbError: 6522 , Sev: 16~*~* SMS Provider 5/23/2016 8:55:31 AM 3748 (0x0EA4)
    CCollectionSource_SQL::InsertCollection - could not get site ID SMS Provider 5/23/2016 8:55:31 AM 3748 (0x0EA4)
    *~*~e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\siteserver\sdk_provider\smsprov\sspcollection.cpp(912) : Unable to update collection due to SQL error.~ SQL Error: [42000][6522][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "fnConvertHexStringToBinary": ~~System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.~~System.FormatException: ~~   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)~~   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at System.Byte.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SQLCLR.SMSUtil.ConvertHexStringToBinary(SqlString sdmBinaryString)~~. : sp_SMSGetNextID~*~* SMS Provider 5/23/2016 8:55:31 AM 3748 (0x0EA4)
    *~*~Unable to update collection due to SQL error. [42000][6522][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "fnConvertHexStringToBinary": ~~System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.~~System.FormatException: ~~   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)~~   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at System.Byte.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SQLCLR.SMSUtil.ConvertHexStringToBinary(SqlString sdmBinaryString)~~. : sp_SMSGetNextID~*~* SMS Provider 5/23/2016 8:55:31 AM 3748 (0x0EA4)

• Edited by SETA IT Monday, May 23, 2016 4:04 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Wednesday, May 25, 2016 3:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Tuesday, June 7, 2016 1:12 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2016 4:03 PM
  • At this point, you have something fundamentally wrong with the DB and need involvement from Microsoft support to help you figure out what's wrong and how to go about fixing it.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Monday, May 23, 2016 8:17 PM

All replies

• Have you reviewed the smsprov.log?

Have you tried restarting WMI on the system hosting the SMS Provider (most likely the site server)?

Saturday, May 21, 2016 1:34 AM
  • Dear Sir,

A little curious, only Collection Creation Wizard affected? What about other wizards, application, package, task sequence, etc.?

Try from other console may help to narrow down the problem. In some cases, you may need to re-install the Console.

There should be some information recorded in SMSPROV.log. Please check it first.

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 23, 2016 3:21 AM
  • Yes, I did some more checking and found reference to the SMSProv.log.  I found when trying to create the Device collection I am getting a format error in the SQL server and .net frame work errors.  I checked and we have the correct version of .Net installed on server, so I am guessing I may need to contact Microsoft or a tool that will correct the database errors.  I am not a SQL admin, so I would not know what to do.  Here is the error below and thank you for your replies:

*** [42000][6522][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "fnConvertHexStringToBinary": ~~System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.~~System.FormatException: ~~   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)~~   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at System.Byte.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SQLCLR.SMSUtil.ConvertHexStringToBinary(SqlString sdmBinaryString)~~. : sp_SMSGetNextID SMS Provider 5/23/2016 8:55:31 AM 3748 (0x0EA4)
    *~*~[42000][6522][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "fnConvertHexStringToBinary": ~~System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.~~System.FormatException: ~~   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)~~   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at System.Byte.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SQLCLR.SMSUtil.ConvertHexStringToBinary(SqlString sdmBinaryString)~~. : sp_SMSGetNextID     ThreadID : 3748 , DbError: 6522 , Sev: 16~*~* SMS Provider 5/23/2016 8:55:31 AM 3748 (0x0EA4)
    CCollectionSource_SQL::InsertCollection - could not get site ID SMS Provider 5/23/2016 8:55:31 AM 3748 (0x0EA4)
    *~*~e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\siteserver\sdk_provider\smsprov\sspcollection.cpp(912) : Unable to update collection due to SQL error.~ SQL Error: [42000][6522][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "fnConvertHexStringToBinary": ~~System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.~~System.FormatException: ~~   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)~~   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at System.Byte.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SQLCLR.SMSUtil.ConvertHexStringToBinary(SqlString sdmBinaryString)~~. : sp_SMSGetNextID~*~* SMS Provider 5/23/2016 8:55:31 AM 3748 (0x0EA4)
    *~*~Unable to update collection due to SQL error. [42000][6522][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "fnConvertHexStringToBinary": ~~System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.~~System.FormatException: ~~   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)~~   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at System.Byte.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)~~   at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SQLCLR.SMSUtil.ConvertHexStringToBinary(SqlString sdmBinaryString)~~. : sp_SMSGetNextID~*~* SMS Provider 5/23/2016 8:55:31 AM 3748 (0x0EA4)

• Edited by SETA IT Monday, May 23, 2016 4:04 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2016 4:03 PM
  • At this point, you have something fundamentally wrong with the DB and need involvement from Microsoft support to help you figure out what's wrong and how to go about fixing it.

Monday, May 23, 2016 8:17 PM