none
How to ensure one GPO executes before the other?

Question

• Hello All,

There is probably a very easy way to do this, but how do I ensure that a GPO object executes before another? In my case, I have a "Servers" OU and within this, various sub OUs e..g SQL Server, Sharepoint, Infrastructure, etc.

All my GPOs (for now) execute at the top of the OU chain (Servers) but I need one to execute before the other. 

Thanks

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 9:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>I understand the order of precedence (LSDOU) but what I am confused about is having >1 GPO at the same level. I.E. I have two GPOs at the OU level but I must ensure one gets applied before the other.

As stated in the article I provided: If several GPOs are linked to an organizational unit, their processing is in the order that is specified by the administrator, on the Linked Group Policy Objects tab for the organizational unit in GPMC. The GPOs having lower link orders will have precedence over GPOs having higher link orders. The GPO link with Link Order of 1 has highest precedence on that container.

Regarding this point, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Group Policy Inheritance

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739343(v=ws.10).aspx

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 6, 2015 1:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>There is probably a very easy way to do this, but how do I ensure that a GPO object executes before another?

Regarding this point, the following article can be referred to as reference.

Group Policy processing and precedence

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785665%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Patris_70 Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:15 PM
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:25 AM
  • If I have >1 GPO at the OU level, as I do in my case, I still need to ensure some order in the processing. How could I do this?
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 5:17 PM
  • Hello,

Please raed this article:

Group Policy Basics - Part 2: Understanding Which GPOs to Apply

Regards

Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:17 PM
  • Yeah I read it and I was already fairly familiar with the concepts presented in that article.

I understand the order of precedence (LSDOU) but what I am confused about is having >1 GPO at the same level. I.E. I have two GPOs at the OU level but I must ensure one gets applied before the other.

Maybe I am missing something?

Thursday, March 5, 2015 9:20 PM
  • Hi,

>>I understand the order of precedence (LSDOU) but what I am confused about is having >1 GPO at the same level. I.E. I have two GPOs at the OU level but I must ensure one gets applied before the other.

As stated in the article I provided: If several GPOs are linked to an organizational unit, their processing is in the order that is specified by the administrator, on the Linked Group Policy Objects tab for the organizational unit in GPMC. The GPOs having lower link orders will have precedence over GPOs having higher link orders. The GPO link with Link Order of 1 has highest precedence on that container.

Regarding this point, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Group Policy Inheritance

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739343(v=ws.10).aspx

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Friday, March 6, 2015 1:06 AM
  • Hi,

It's been a while. How is it going? If you need further help regarding the question, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:50 AM