Window XP (Auto Lock and Unlock logs ) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

There is a requirement on window XP pc, i want to create a log related to at what time the PC is lock and unlock.

I have kept a Screensaver to  lock my PC after every 1 minutes. I want to track who and when (means at what time )  this PC is lock or unlock.

Note:- I know about event viewer where we can track about login and logoff, but i want to also log about when the workstation is lock and when the workstation is unlock (via Ctrl+Alt+delete )

Please advice

Thanks & Regards,
    Param
    www.paramgupta.blogspot.com

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:24 PM

All replies

• Edited by Ang101 Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:25 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:24 PM
  • Hi Ang101,

Thanks for ur reply...

Is there any trick to find out time when the user had lock their workstation. or at what time the screensaver has been activated.

Any other way round such as triggering something by keeping shortcut key for (window key + L ) key i.e some file access ( so that log should be created )

or any trick, so that i can find out the time ( at what time user had lock their workstation ).

Thanks & Regards,
    Param

Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:03 AM
  • other than using a key logger im not too sure how you would do this...You could use the key logger and have a script look for instances of window key + L...would be a dirty workaround.
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Hi Ang101,

Good to see ur reply..Thank you..

If u don't mind can u give some idea.

It will be nice to know ur idea.

Thanks & Regards,
    Param

Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:17 PM
  • I've never used a key logger so I can't give you a great idea.

something though that can track key strokes and also a time and date.  You can then search these logs for the times for the Winkey + L with some kind of script that will just search a simple text file.  Sorry can't help much more than this, not too experienced with key loggers

Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:33 PM
  • The security event log will show when a PC has been unlocked.  Look for event ID 528 with a logon type of 7. There isn;t an event for when the screen is initially locked though.

This thread might also prove interesting.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/a47b59b3-b343-4cf1-9813-d849eefd0afd/

Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:53 PM
  • Hi Mr. P,

Thanks for ur Input.

I will go through the thread..and let u know...

Thanks & Regards,
    Param

Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:30 AM