Vista Freezing- Is it due to my memory? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I recently installed Vista 64 premium on a new computer, and I am experiencing numerous crashes/freezes where I have restart the computer. 3dmark06 and Battlefield 2 run for a few minutes then crash, orthos crashes, as do prime95, memtest86, cpuz and other benchmarking programs, most of which should be 64 bit compatible. The windows system analysis tool  also can't complete itself; my screen and mouse freeze when it starts to scan the memory. I think there might be something wrong with my memory, but what really frustrates and concerns me is that the windows memory diagnostic tool never works. It freezes after only 1-3% (I left it on for at least 30min and it had not progressed and the f1 control was unresponsive).  Is there some other way to test my ram or stop my computer from constantly freezing (unfortunately, I have no spare parts to swap)?

q6600 with ultra 120 ext. heatsink

2 x 2gb g.skill ddr2 800 (the memory seems pretty warm after a little use, is this normal?)

Gigabyte p35 ds3r mobo

640mb 8800 gts video card

700watt ocz power supply

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am really having trouble narrowing it down to Vista x64, my hardware or a combination of both. 

Saturday, August 4, 2007 12:20 AM

All replies

•  

have you tried disabling the onboard Realtek Gigabit network card and see if the problem goes away?

Some of version 2 Gigabyte P35-DS3R comes with flawed Gigabit  network chip that is going to have issue with the Realtek 8101/8168/8169 Vista adptor driver.  The sympton is exactly like what you mentioned. The system freezes all in a sudden without any reason.

The fix is simple. To disable the onboard network chip, and to install individual network card such as Intel 1000 MT card will do. Hope it help. Smile

Saturday, February 23, 2008 10:45 AM