2008 R2: MMC / console - arrows don't work, can't backspace, can't type 't' RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know what the deal is here but I've seen this occur on two completely different Server 2008 R2 domains. One of these domains I recently built from scratch by myself, with no weird or custom Microsoft Management Console settings.

Here is a video recording of the problems:

Server 2008 R2 - Server Manager MMC keyboard problems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSIKlbilJj0

• When editing object names in the domain or really any text field in the Server Manager MMC, I usually cannot use the arrow keys on the keyboard. They just don't do anything. I have to use the mouse cursor to click on the text field and move the mouse around.
    • Also I usually cannot press Backspace to delete characters to the left of the cursor in an MMC text field. Yet the little Delete key works to the right of the cursor. After some fiddling around I've discovered if I press Shift-Delete it works the same as Backspace to delete characters to the left of the cursor.
    • And occasionally, the MMC won't let me type a lowercase 't' for some reason. I can click on an existing domain group policy object, start to type a new name for it, and if the lowercase 't' comes up it instantly pops out of editing mode and the whole console seems to "blink" for a moment. If I start to create a new object and name it in a separate window, I can now type 't' but every time I do, the entire console "blinks" with each 't' keypress. I can find no way to get it out of this state without completely closing the Server Manager MMC and opening a new one.

It is extremely bizarre and frustrating to work in the Server Manager MMC with this occurring.

The arrow keys, backspace, and the letter 't' all work properly on the server if I use some other program, such as Notepad.

Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I just did multiple tests on my Windows Server 2008 R2 using On-Screen keyboard to rename file name on Server Manager without problems. I am assuming that the On-Screen keyboard conflicts with Server Manager in your machine or there might be a corruption file of Server Manager. Please run SFC /SCANNOW to scan the whole system. Check the %windir%\Logs\ServerManager.log, see if any error is noted.

BTW, does the same behavior occur if you use the attached keyboard?

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, April 4, 2011 3:25 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dale Mahalko Monday, April 4, 2011 11:53 PM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:04 AM
  • After doing some more testing, I have found that the MMC works properly when the window is first opened, but after a while these problems start to develop, after opening and closing MMC sections and doing many refreshes.

This problem has no involvement with the on-screen keyboard. The problems occur with a normal attached keyboard but I can't very well include video of me typing on the keyboard in the video along with the recorded screen. The on-screen keyboard was used in place of the real keyboard to demonstrate the problem.

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, April 8, 2011 9:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dale Mahalko Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:27 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 11:58 PM
  • I have the same problem.  Drives me crazy.  No Backspace, No arrows and the same issue with the lowercase t.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:17 PM
  • In regards to someone at Microsoft marking my last post as the answer... no, quitting and restarting the console is not the "answer" to the problem.

The correct "answer" is that there is a problem with the Server 2008 R2 Server Manager, either in the snap-ins or in the MMC subsystem itself that is broken, and Microsoft needs to find a solution to the problem and fix it.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:30 PM
  • I've been unable to duplicate on two machines with Windows Server 2008 R2, one a DC and one a member server. However, I found this thread where a similar problem was reported in June 2010:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/d53b3575-60fb-4ef8-b3aa-be0e44e0a70b

The poster decided it was related to Remote Desktop.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:20 AM
  • I am so glad i did a search and found fellow people having the exact same issue as me with no solution!

I always seems to have it on this one machine, i am unsure if i have installed something to make it happen but i never have this problem on any other machine with the GP Management installed. I can uninstall / reinstall it but this doesnt solve it, the only way to fix my typo is to highlight the selected text and overwrite.

You dont happen to have any 2003 extensions installed do you?

Anyways to cut a long story short, the hotfix is avaliable from MS KB which resolves this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466373

• Proposed as answer by A13x Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:07 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:07 PM
  • Thanks for posting that, been looking for a fix for this for years.
    Monday, March 26, 2012 12:29 AM
  • Wohooo this has been bugging me for over 2 years!!! We can now make group policies properly.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:15 AM
  • Cheers for posting the link to the hotfix, mmc is now a bit more bearable, (maybe a games snap-in would help).

The hotfix is the answer! Make it go green!

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:48 PM