Can't Import RSS Feeds RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to import a couple RSS feeds into Outlook.  Here they are.

http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag?tagnames=shiny&sort=newest

http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag?tagnames=r&sort=newest

These seem totally legit to me, so I don't know why it's not working.  I keep getting messages about not being a valid OPML file.  Also, all my current RSS feeds have have stopped updating.  Everything worked fine yesterday.  I don't know what has changed today.  Any thoughts, anyone?

MY BOOK

• Moved by Chenchen Li Friday, November 24, 2017 2:32 AM Outlook IT
    • Edited by ryguy72 Friday, December 8, 2017 2:30 AM
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This forum is for development issues when using Outlook Object Model. Your issue about the RSS feed could not update is not related to Outlook Object Model. I would move this thread into Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum.

Besides, could you please share us your Office version? Do you install any Office updates? 

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 2:32 AM
  • Hi,

How did you export the RSS feeds to OPML files? Did you do it in your browser? You may try using Internet Explorer instead of other browser. Make sure that you have subscribed to the above two RSS feeds and verify that they appear under the Feeds tab. When testing, I found that if there is no RSS Feeds subscribed under Feeds tab, an OPML file will be created, but will display the same error you mentioned when importing into Outlook.

After that, try exporting the RSS feeds to OPML file via File > Import and export > Export to a file. Select "Feeds" and click Next. Specify where the file is stored and the file name. Click Export

Now, try to import the OPML file into Outlook: right clicking RSS Feeds folder and select "Import an OPML File".

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, November 27, 2017 9:43 AM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 8:15 AM
  • I see what the problem is.  I actually needed to ADD a new RSS feed not IMPORT a file.  Simply right-clicking 'Add New RSS Feed' and then copying/pasting the URL worked as expected. 

MY BOOK

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:55 AM
    • Edited by ryguy72 Tuesday, December 5, 2017 2:20 PM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 4:31 PM
  • Yeah, that's another easier way. Glad you have fixed the issue.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:55 AM