none
Group Policy Preference - Scheduled Task - Daylight Savings...

Question

• I was almost certain that I have posted about this before - I have read plenty on the topic.

Problem - On Windows XP SP3, when using GPP to create Scheduled Tasks on a machine, when Daylight Savings time hits, the schedule is off by 1 hour.  This is because the GPP schedules the task based on UTC time, which is unchanged by DST.

That being said - all of my machines are now Windows 7 Embedded.  I thought for sure that I had read somewhere that this issue was resolved in Windows 7 OR throught a patch / hotfix had been released to resolve this issue.  

I am seeing some of my machines report correct times, and some are reporting incorrect times.  The incorrect times are bumped ahead by 1 hour.

Can someone point me in the right direction for any KB or documentation on this?  I have read over KB2738974 and also installed this hotfix on these machines.  I am pretty confused why my results are not consistent.

Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

sb

Thursday, March 12, 2015 8:18 PM

Answers

• > I am seeing some of my machines report correct times, and some are
    > reporting incorrect times.  The incorrect times are bumped ahead by 1 hour.

This might be due to the creation date of your task. If it's created
    with DST on, its bumped.

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Friday, March 13, 2015 8:08 AM
  • Hi Stephen,

As I did some searching, seems there's just a hot fix avaliable for the incorrect start time of Group Policy scheduled tasks on a client computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. Which is  the KB2738974 you already read and installed.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:27 AM

All replies

with DST on, its bumped.

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Friday, March 13, 2015 8:08 AM
  • Hi Stephen,

Do you have any update for this issue?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 16, 2015 6:50 AM
  • I was able to get my tasks to run at the desired time this weekend, though, I am still confused.  I had to go in and modify the schedule on the task in my GPP - pushing it back 1 hour.  So my task that I want to run at 12:55 AM is scheduled for 11:55 PM.  This works, but certainly isn't ideal.  

I thought that Microsoft released a patch for this issue?

-sb

Monday, March 16, 2015 12:20 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

As I did some searching, seems there's just a hot fix avaliable for the incorrect start time of Group Policy scheduled tasks on a client computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. Which is  the KB2738974 you already read and installed.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:27 AM
  • Elaine, 

Thanks for making me look again.  Above I stated that I have already installed the hot fix on my clients.  What I have not done is install the hot fix on my server.

I will do this today and report back.

Thanks again

sb

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 1:35 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

would you please share us the updates after you install the hot fix on the server?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Monday, March 23, 2015 8:05 AM
  • Hi Elaine,

I installed the patch on both of my Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controllers and I am still seeing the same result.

Should this be?

-sb

Monday, March 23, 2015 8:43 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

Regarding this issue, I consulted  expert and they verified the KB, the hotfix should can resolve the known issue.

As there are only part of the clients run the scheduled task correctly, would you please help to verify the hotfix were installed successfully on the server and clients?

You may check it from the control panel.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Monday, March 30, 2015 1:41 AM

with DST on, its bumped.

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for this.  I have an update.  Yesterday I created a new GPP Scheduled Task.  This morning when I checked to verify the time the GPP was scheduled and the time the task was scheduled - they matched!  They were no longer off by an hour.  So it looks like this patch did resolve my issue.

However, this was not the case when I modified existing tasks.  I am assuming this is related to Martin's original reply (above).

So for the tasks in question that I originally posted about - it seems as if I re-create them, they should all line up with the correct times.

Thanks again!

Steve

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 1:04 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for your update and I'm glad to hear the issue fixed.

Wish you a nice day.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 1:53 AM