none
Best way to deploy Temp Internet Files location change to existing users

Question

• I wish to deploy a change to the temporary internet files location to a bunch of machines existing users via SCCM or GPO.  I understand that maybe the best way would be a change to the registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders cache string

When I make a change to that string it doesnt make the change in the UI and it doesnt work properly...UI still pointing to the old location.  When I make a change in the UI it makes the proper change to that string.

Any advice?

Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:59 PM

Answers

• So it turns out that the reason it wasn't working is because there were actually 2 cache strings that needed to be changed in 2 different keys in that same tree...there was the "shell folders" key as well as "user shell folders" key. once I figured that out it worked fine.  The UI is internet options > general tab > settings under browsing history > then current location
    • Marked as answer by krdell Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

>>When I make a change to that string it doesnt make the change in the UI and it doesnt work properly..
    Did you reboot the machine?
    When you’re done, you may close the Registry Editor and reboot the machine to get your changing applied.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 21, 2017 8:16 AM
  • Yes.
    Friday, April 21, 2017 1:06 PM
  • Hi ,

>>When I make a change in the UI it makes the proper change to that string.
    Where is the setting in UI? Can you be more specific about how to change it in UI so we could test it on our side.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 9:06 AM
  • So it turns out that the reason it wasn't working is because there were actually 2 cache strings that needed to be changed in 2 different keys in that same tree...there was the "shell folders" key as well as "user shell folders" key. once I figured that out it worked fine.  The UI is internet options > general tab > settings under browsing history > then current location
    • Marked as answer by krdell Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:46 PM