Adobe Reader Installs But Bugs Upon PDF In Firefox RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone having the same problem?
    Screenshot

I have tried reinstalling and it seemed to work on the first try, but now that I try to load a pdf in firefox it has started bugging up again. Will reinstall again. Maybe even try Reader 8.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:29 PM

Answers

• I uninstalled 9 and was trying to install 8 when that dreaded "windows installer has stopped working" began showing up. Now both 9 and 8 won't install. Currently using Foxit Reader which seems to work well enough. Give it a go.
    • Proposed as answer by Alex T Jr Monday, January 19, 2009 6:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Monday, January 26, 2009 3:44 AM
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:40 PM

All replies

• Same problem here!!! Tho it does work totally with saved pdf files!
    Did u try version 8??????
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:19 PM
  • I uninstalled 9 and was trying to install 8 when that dreaded "windows installer has stopped working" began showing up. Now both 9 and 8 won't install. Currently using Foxit Reader which seems to work well enough. Give it a go.
    • Proposed as answer by Alex T Jr Monday, January 19, 2009 6:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Monday, January 26, 2009 3:44 AM
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Been having this problem too, as well as the Installer crash.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 3:06 AM
  • I'm seeing the same problem. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. It also happens under IE8. Sometimes if you reload the page it will come up, but then eventually the blank dialog error comes up again.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:56 PM
  • Well, the setup isn't perfect but this is what I do.

Install both foxit and Adobe Reader/Acrobat Pro. Go to Adobe preferences and disable the display pdf in browser setting.
    Basically this will make foxit the viewer when you open it in browser and adobe the default when you save it on your computer.

For me, if it's an important document I always save it, and web viewing is only for those quick glances where perfect rendering isn't important. I am perfectly happy with this setup.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:14 PM
  • I get Adobe Reader errors in BOTH FireFox and IE8.  I don't even have Adobe reader installed on my PC, only Acrobat 8 Pro.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:28 PM
  • I've got the same issue here. Thought it worked earlier but not too sure now. Both Firefox and IE have the same behavior. Right clicking on the document and saving, then viewing in the standalone reader seems to work just fine.

Additional testing; it appears that if a pdf document is opened first in the standalone reader, afterwards both IE and Firefox will open pdf's in within the browser.

Will do more testing...

Friday, January 30, 2009 6:33 PM
  • I've found that it usually fails the first time you try it, but if you then hit the back button and try a second time it will work and from that point on any pdf you try to open in your browser will work. However, if you close the browser, the next time you open it, it will again fail the first time, but work on subsequent attempts. So while it is annoying, it's not really a showstopper. Hopefully Adobe and/or Microsoft will fix this soon.
    Friday, January 30, 2009 8:19 PM
  • I  Use Opera 10 Alpha and am having the same issue whether using Opera 10 or IE8.  I want the pdf to open in the browser when I click on a link to a pdf download, but it doesn' t work. 

I can set up Opera to open the pdf with AcroRd32.exe (which is the executable for Adobe Reader 9) instead of opening the pdf with the Acrobat Reader plug-in.  This opens the pdf in a separate Adobe Reader window after it is downloaded.  I read (but haven't tried) that if you uncheck the box in Adobe Reader preferences to Display PDF in browser, then you will have the same behavior using IE.

I tried compatibilty mode and elevated privileges without result.  I tried adding full permissions to the Acrobat Reader plug-in file nppdf32.dll, but that didn't help either.  I was thinking of trying running Opera with Administrator privileges, but I haven't got around to it yet.

I sure hope someone figures out what is going on here.  This is the 5th forum I have posted this to and I have yet to get a satisfactory answer.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:20 PM
  • I never got a pdf to open in a browser window except on rare occasions using Adobe Reader 9.  Finally I uninstalled Adobe Reader 9 and deleted all Adobe Reader and Acrobat registry keys.  Next I installed Foxit Reader, but the pdf's open in a separate Foxit Reader window.  I was able to do as much with Adobe Reader 9.  I have Foxit set to open pdf's in a browser, but it doesn't.  Opera 10a does not show any pdf plug-ins installed.  Not sure if I can get this to work with Foxit or not.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 12:04 AM
  • I just tried Adobe Reader 9.0 on x64.  It failed for me too, even as a stand-alone application.

I uninstalled 9.0 and installed 8.1.  I opened it stand-alone and it upgraded itself to 8.1.3.

After it re-opened, I could open PDF's with no problems.

I have not tried it in a browser.  I don't like the way Reader forgets my preferences when "open pdf's in browser" is enabled, so I always clear this box.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:32 AM
  • I discovered what the problem was with Foxit Reader.  I had downloaded and installed using the .msi installer for Foxit Reader.  Apparently the .msi installer does not include the browser plug-in.  So I uninstalled Foxit Reader, then downloaded and installed using the .exe installer of Foxit Reader.  Problem solved.

Now Foxit Reader seems to do everything I need.  I can open pdfs in the browser window of Opera 10a or IE8, I can fill in IRS tax forms, and I can open encrypted pdf files that require a password. :)
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:34 AM
  • On a tip from another forum, I uninstalled Foxit Reader, then reinstalled Adobe Reader.  Next I uninstalled Acrobat.com and Adobe Air.  Still couldn't open pdf's in a browser.

Later I did a fresh install of W7b, installed updates, some drivers, and some software.  When I was ready, I installed Adobe Reader 9 (I did a normal installation and did not use compatibility mode).  After installation, I opened the Adobe Reader application and accepted the license agreement, then I closed Adobe Reader.  I let Adobe Reader Updater update itself.  I have not installed the Adobe Reader Language Tools update yet.  Lastly I uninstalled Acrobat.com and Adobe Air using Programs and Features.

So far, I have opened over a dozen pdf's in IE8 and Opera 10a browser windows without a glitch.  One of the pdf's was over 5 Mb.  I am not saying that I'm sure the problem is fixed, but so far it's working. :)
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:52 AM
  •  Try using Foxit reader  it is a lot smaller than adobe.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader_2/down_reader.htm

works fine for me
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:23 AM