none
File Server migration With ADMT

Question

• Dear Team,

Scenario: We have done Computer Migartion using ADMT.

Need to do my file server using the same with old domain to new domain. File server is running with Windows Server 2003. 

please confirm what are precaution and Steps we have to follow for the same. 

Thursday, December 22, 2016 6:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Hebbar,

ADMT Computer migration of the server from the source domain to the target domain and use the Security Translation in replace mode (This requires that no users are left in the source domain)

Once server domain membership has changed and the server has rebooted, run the ADMT Security Translation with a sidmapping file for the built-in groups:

http://blogs.chrisse.se/2012/02/29/how-to-handle-built-in-domain-groups-with-admt/

Note: After the migration, if permissions on folders and files are changed, use RoboCopy command line tool to mirror the permissions.

Regards, Nidhin.CK

Friday, December 23, 2016 4:00 AM
  • Hi,
    Firstly, you have to migrate the groups and users to the new domain, and include SIDHistory in your migration options. This should preserve access for the duration of the migration. Once the migration is complete, perform translation of the ACLs on the server.
    Based on my research, it seems that there is no official documents from Microsoft regarding step-by-step for migrating file server with ADMT
    And you could refer to the similar thread for more details:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/e4a5e311-b699-4f5e-b42e-a29db629f10b/admt-32-how-to-migrate-file-server?forum=winserverDS
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 23, 2016 5:35 AM
  • Hi

You can migrate file server with robocopy (include ntfs permissions)

Robocopy ; https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(v=ws.11).aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Friday, December 23, 2016 8:29 AM
  • Few users are left in my old domain, can i do first security translation with add and next i will change the domain membership

Is there any impact to the user who are in my old domain?

Friday, December 23, 2016 12:26 PM
  • Hi

As mentioned you should migrate users with SIDhistory.(with ADMT.)then migrate file shares with robocopy.

Is there any impact to the user who are in my old domain?>>>migration means copy accocunts,shares to new domain.So the resources already avaible on old domain.So old(on old domain)  users access shares on old domain..

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Monday, December 26, 2016 6:51 AM
  •  Scenario:

1) We are doing Domain Migartion using ADMT.

2) we have Migrated all the user with their SID history.

3) i need to do change File server membership to new domain.

Question:

Without Doing Security translation if i migrated file server to new domain -- whether i get all my access with new domain id.

If this is ok, after my old domain contoller demotion whether will i face issue.

Monday, December 26, 2016 7:08 AM
  • Hi Burak,

i am migrating server from one domain to another domain. machine is same .

1) We are doing Domain Migartion using ADMT.

2) we have Migrated all the user with their SID history.

3) i need to do change File server membership to new domain.

Question:

Without Doing Security translation if i migrated file server to new domain -- whether i get all my access with new domain id.

If this is ok, after my old domain contoller demotion whether will i face issue.

9 hours 27 minutes ago

Monday, December 26, 2016 4:35 PM
  • Without Doing Security translation if i migrated file server to new domain -- whether i get all my access with new domain id.

9 hours 27 minutes ago
    If you don't migrate file shares without permissions (ntfs) any of user can access the shares on new domain.Also for new file server user accessbility not related to old dc.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 2, 2017 6:25 AM