Exchange 2016 Send Connector to Smarthost Using Only One Source Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a send connector that sends to a smart host.  The connector is configured with [2] Exchange 2016 source servers from the same AD site.  When sending email outbound, only one source server is being used to deliver to the smart host.  Is this expected behavior?  I would like to load balance across both Exchange 2016 source servers.
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for contacting our forum.

Per my experience, this is because the mailbox transport service(mailbox transport submission service) on both Exchange server can communicate with the transport service on each server, so it just use one server, and if these is down it will use the other server and the premise is we need add the server in the source server, and this is the difference with Exchange server 2010.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by TGIF2011 Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:30 PM
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:01 AM

All replies

• I have a send connector that sends to a smart host.  The connector is configured with [2] Exchange 2016 source servers from the same AD site.  When sending email outbound, only one source server is being used to deliver to the smart host.  Is this expected behavior?  I would like to load balance across both Exchange 2016 source servers.

Remove that one server as the source and see if it still works!

Are the servers in a DAG or all DBs active on one server and not the other?

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 7:40 PM
  • OK, I actually just did that and will test!  Both source servers are in a DAG.  With 2016, it looks like all transport servers within a DAG will be used.  I know in 2010 the behavior was different, where it would not use the transport services on the server where a DB was active.  Will report back.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:33 PM
  • So the second source server is able to send mail to the smart host as well.  I'm just not sure why it is not load balancing across both and only using one of them.  
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for contacting our forum.

Per my experience, this is because the mailbox transport service(mailbox transport submission service) on both Exchange server can communicate with the transport service on each server, so it just use one server, and if these is down it will use the other server and the premise is we need add the server in the source server, and this is the difference with Exchange server 2010.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by TGIF2011 Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:30 PM
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:01 AM