Scanner in Samsung CLX-3175FN will not work in Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vista Home Premium SP 1.I recently purchased a Samsung CLX 3175FN multi-function printer. The printer and copier work properly.However, the scanner will not work.From the point of first installation, I have had a Code 19 error in device manager.This states that

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

There is a similar error message when I uninstal the scanner driver and reinstall it-the message is

Windows encountered a problem installing the software for your device. Windows found the software for your device  but encountered an error while attempting to instal it. Windows cannot start the device because the configuration information in the registry is incomplete or damaged(Code 19)

I have taken a number of steps to try and resolve the issue-

1. Uninstalled and reinstalled the software for both printer and scanner(including drivers);
    2. checked the Samsung website to ensure I have the latest versions of the software and firmware(which I do);
    3. checked the Samsung website for any similar issues/solutions http://www.samsung.com/au/support/main/supportSupportMain.do
    4. There do not appear to be any similar issues lsted;
    5. Spoken with Samsung technical support-who advised that it is "a Microsoft problem "as the machine  and drivers are fully compatiblewith Vista;
    6. Attempted to manually add the scanner as hardware through control panel-see second error message above;
    7. Disabled Zone Alarm anti-virus;
    8. Clean boot;
    9. attempted to update the driver via device manager-see error messages above-there is no roll-back driver option available;
    10. run a number of registry editors;
    11. manually deleted Samsung entries in the registry using regedit prior to reinstall;
    12. checked the knowledge bases-however most of the code 19 errors appear to relate to XP amd  CD/DVD drives.

The error appears to be a registry-driven one but I am not certain how it can be rectified.
    Many thanks

Saturday, March 7, 2009 8:53 PM

Answers

• Many thanks Nicholas.
    I had tried a clean boot and uninstalled/reinstalled Zone Alarm.
    The scan utility stops at 69% and states that it cannot perform the requested operation.
    I agree with you re the driver and did not find the manufacturer's response helpful.
    I have in fact got the scanner to work as a network machine-ie ethernet cable from machine to gateway.
    I did this after finding the below article-

http://www.ciao.com/Samsung_CLX_3175FN__Review_10111508

I have advised Samsung of this position.
    Regards

Monday, March 16, 2009 8:51 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

I am sorry for what you experienced.

At this time, please try this to see if it works:

Code 19: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772156.aspx

Hope the issue can be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:37 AM
  • Nicholas
    Thanks for the reply-I had previously tried the uninstall and update for hardware changes-this resulted in a similar Code 19 message re problem starting the device and to check with manufacturer(who as I said, insist it is not their issue but a Microsoft problem)..
    I did go to safe mode but this did not assist-system restore is unable to rectify the problem as the scanner has never installed properly.
    Thanks anyway
    Rgds
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:18 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Let’s continue narrowing down the issue with the following:

1.    Please perform a clean boot environment to install the driver. Please note your security software, if possible, you can temporarily remove the software and install the driver.

(Please remove the driver completely before doing this.)

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

2.    I suspect there are some system files corrupted, please run SFC to have a check.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

For more information about the command SFC, please refer to the following Knowledge Base:

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

Please understand I will do my best to help on OS side. However, I would like to let you know that actually device driver is a bridge between the operating system and the hardware device. Also, the device drivers are generally designed and tested by the hardware manufacturers.

In other words, it is hardware manufacturers’ responsibility to design, develop, test, and support their device drivers.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:32 AM
  • Many thanks Nicholas.
    I had tried a clean boot and uninstalled/reinstalled Zone Alarm.
    The scan utility stops at 69% and states that it cannot perform the requested operation.
    I agree with you re the driver and did not find the manufacturer's response helpful.
    I have in fact got the scanner to work as a network machine-ie ethernet cable from machine to gateway.
    I did this after finding the below article-

http://www.ciao.com/Samsung_CLX_3175FN__Review_10111508

I have advised Samsung of this position.
    Regards

Monday, March 16, 2009 8:51 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for updating.

I am glad to know that the issue can be resolved with your efforts. Hope this can be a good reference for the users who meet the similar issue.

Thanks again.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:55 AM