Revoke Delete Permissions issue? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have created a shared drive on our file server and have set the permissions to allow users to write, read and modify files, however I have revoked the delete permission, I haven't set it as deny, just simply left the delete section blank.

Now however when a user (User A) creats a file, only he/she can open/modify/move it, and User B,C etc cannot...

When I reinstate the delete permission, the issue goes away??I must of missed something very simple here, but cannot put my finger on it,

any ideas?

Thanks,

Friday, October 9, 2015 8:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Above all please noticed that:

If a user do not have Delete permission, he/she will not able to modify (equal to Delete + Create) or rename the file except the file owner (owner has full control permission). In order to prevent users from deleting a file by mistake, you can create backups or VSS and train your users from avoiding such accident. Deny or Revoke Delete permission is not a good method especially on Office related files.

Back to the issue, as the issue disappeared after reinstate permissions on that folder, please compare the permission settings (in Properties - Security - Advanced) before and after reinstate - there must be something changed which gived userB,C permission to Modify/Move. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 12, 2015 8:51 AM