Exchange 2013 CU 23 failed RRS feed

• Question

• HI, I am upgrading my exchange 2013 to CU 23 and its getting failed with below error, i have also followed below mentioned link...

Error:

The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); 
              $BEVdirIdentity = $RoleNetBIOSName + "\OAB (Exchange Back End)";
              $be = get-OabVirtualDirectory -ShowMailboxVirtualDirectories -Identity $BEVdirIdentity -DomainController $RoleDomainController -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue;
              if ($be -eq $null)
              {
              new-OabVirtualDirectory -Role Mailbox -WebSiteName "Exchange Back End" -DomainController $RoleDomainController;
              }
              set-OabVirtualdirectory -Identity $BEVdirIdentity -InternalUrl $null -ExternalUrl $null;
              . "$RoleInstallPath\Scripts\Update-AppPoolManagedFrameworkVersion.ps1" -AppPoolName:"MSExchangeOABAppPool" -Version:"v4.0";
            " was run: "System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070003): The system cannot find the path specified.

at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail)
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind()
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject()
       at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection.PopulateList()
       at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection..ctor(DirectoryEntry entry, String propertyName)
       at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyCollection.get_Item(String propertyName)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Metabase.IisUtility.CheckForAuthenticationMethod(DirectoryEntry virtualDirectory, AuthenticationMethodFlags method, Boolean ignoreAnonymousOnCert)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.SetOabVirtualDirectory.StampChangesOn(IConfigurable dataObject)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.SetObjectTaskBase`2.PrepareDataObject()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.SetVirtualDirectory`1.PrepareDataObject()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.SetExchangeVirtualDirectory`1.PrepareDataObject()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.SetOabVirtualDirectory.PrepareDataObject()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.SetTaskBase`1.InternalValidate()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.SetSystemConfigurationObjectTask`3.InternalValidate()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.SetExchangeVirtualDirectory`1.InternalValidate()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.SetOabVirtualDirectory.InternalValidate()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.Task.<ProcessRecord>b__b()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.Task.InvokeRetryableFunc(String funcName, Action func, Boolean terminatePipelineIfFailed)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.Task.ProcessTaskStage(TaskStage taskStage, Action initFunc, Action mainFunc, Action completeFunc)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.Task.ProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()".

Note: 

I have already followed to recreate the OWA ECP Virtual directory and setting the permission, but still same issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/exchangeserver/comments/bu8c60/exchange_2016_complete_uninstall/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2778897/cannot-access-outlook-on-the-web-or-the-eac-after-you-re-create-the-ow

Any help would be highlight appreciated

Regards

Muz

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 8:02 PM

Answers

• Once again I recreate OabVirtualDirectory and that fix the issue..
    • Marked as answer by Tech_Bug Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:30 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:30 AM

All replies

• Once again I recreate OabVirtualDirectory and that fix the issue..
    • Marked as answer by Tech_Bug Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:30 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:30 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue has been resloved!

The below thread discussed the similar issue as yours

Upgrading Exchange 2013 SP1 (CU4) to CU7 error

I ended up contacting Microsoft Professional Support.  They knew this error and had an undocumented solution "a trick" as described to resolve.

In Exchange Powershell, we had to Remove-OabVirtualDirectory.  Then add a New-OabVirtualDirectory, then Windows IIS Manager, we had missing, <server>\Sites\Exchange Back End\OAB file location.  We are unsure if this is related to the update to CU7 or had been missing or corrupt previously but once through this, the update was able to complete successfully.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:47 AM