none
Assiging ALT+TAB to a mouse button with the Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard Center? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to assign the ALT+TAB key combination to a mouse button in the Mouse & Keyboard Center?

I select the "Key Commands"-> "Key Combination" field but I can not find a way to enter a TAB keystroke.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Saturday, April 12, 2014 12:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Create a macro?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, April 12, 2014 1:23 PM
  • Macros might work, as it will let me insert "special" keys like TAB.

However, I can't figure out how to specify that two keys are to be pressed at once. All I can do is say press the ALT key for 10ms then the TAB key is pressed for 10MS.

I have been playing around with something like this, but so far, no luck:

Any suggestions?

• Edited by Pfredd Mudd Saturday, April 12, 2014 2:03 PM
    Saturday, April 12, 2014 1:49 PM
  • Any suggestions?

Doesn't it switch tasks?  Think about it.  20 ms?  How long do you normally hold the Alt- key when doing this?   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, April 12, 2014 2:22 PM
  • Ok - Removed the 20ms after the ALT press because I believe it stays pressed till the ALT release at the end of the macro.

I changed the timing on the TAB press to 1 second. Still doesn't work.

Here is how it looks now:

Saturday, April 12, 2014 9:18 PM
  • I changed the timing on the TAB press to 1 second. Still doesn't work.

Here is how it looks now:

I just remembered that we have seen this deficiency before.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-tms/switch-window-mouse-macro-no-longer-works-on/4921ad4e-93b8-4dea-8884-dda2ce642060 

Sorry for the confusion.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, April 13, 2014 3:24 PM
  • This drove me crazy too, especially when I realised we couldn't put a tab in a keyboard short cut!!! All I wanted was to use a custom mouse button to cycle through my browser tabs.

Turns out you have to 'Split' the first key you press so you can simultaneously 'press' another key while the first key is still pressed down. SO I got this working for alt+tab or ctrl+tab by doing the following:

How To create Macro for 'Alt + tab' or 'Ctrl + tab' (basically, a keyboard short cut as a macro):

(To see these instructions with screenshots go here: tinyurl.  com / pagerxl )

1. Create new macro.

2. Choose 'Alt' from the 'Special Keys' line so an 'Alt' tile appears in the macro Editor line

3. Right click on the 'Alt' tile and choose 'Split' from the menu. It will now become three tiles: 'Alt pressed', '10ms' delay, 'Alt released'

2.  Now choose 'tab' from the 'Special keys' so a 'Tab' tile appears in the macro Editor line. (another 10ms delay tile will also appear)

3. Click the 'Tab' tile in the macro Editor line to select it,

3. Now click & drag the Tab tile so it sits after the 'Alt pressed' tile, and before the 'Alt released' tile.

(If you can't drag it, make sure you have clicked it once to select it, THEN click and drag it to move it)

(NOTE: you can also click on any tile in the macro Editor line then press an arrow key and a big vertical cursor will appear. Use the arrow keys to move that cursor between the tiles you already have, then when you type or select another tile to add, it will be inserted at the cursor)

4. Clean up: Click the first '10 ms' delay tile in the macro Editor line then press the delete button on your keyboard to remove it from the macro Editor line. Do the same thing for the second '10 ms' delay tile to delete it too.
    (Or you can leave them in - it doesn't matter, I just think it looks neater if you delete them. Plus you'll save yourself from wasting 20ms each tile you run the macro!!)

5. So now you should have three tiles in this order: 'Alt pressed', 'Tab', 'Alt released'

Now it will work!!

You can also do the same thing to make 'Ctrl + Tab' by following the above instructions but pressing the 'Ctrl' key instead of selecting the 'Alt' key from the 'Special Keys' line.

(To see these instructions with screenshots go here: tinyurl.  com / pagerxl )

Cheers,

Esther

• Proposed as answer by sandrix_poa Thursday, December 3, 2015 4:42 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:55 AM
  • This drove me crazy too, especially when I realised we couldn't put a tab in a keyboard short cut!!! All I wanted was to use a custom mouse button to cycle through my browser tabs.

Turns out you have to 'Split' the first key you press so you can simultaneously 'press' another key while the first key is still pressed down. SO I got this working for alt+tab or ctrl+tab by doing the following:

How To create Macro for 'Alt + tab' or 'Ctrl + tab' (basically, a keyboard short cut as a macro):

1. Create new macro.

2. Choose 'Alt' from the 'Special Keys' line so an 'Alt' tile appears in the macro Editor line

3. Right click on the 'Alt' tile and choose 'Split' from the menu. It will now become three tiles: 'Alt pressed', '10ms' delay, 'Alt released'

2.  Now choose 'tab' from the 'Special keys' so a 'Tab' tile appears in the macro Editor line. (another 10ms delay tile will also appear)

3. Click the 'Tab' tile in the macro Editor line to select it,

3. Now click & drag the Tab tile so it sits after the 'Alt pressed' tile, and before the 'Alt released' tile.

(If you can't drag it, make sure you have clicked it once to select it, THEN click and drag it to move it)

(NOTE: you can also click on any tile in the macro Editor line then press an arrow key and a big vertical cursor will appear. Use the arrow keys to move that cursor between the tiles you already have, then when you type or select another tile to add, it will be inserted at the cursor)

4. Clean up: Click the first '10 ms' delay tile in the macro Editor line then press the delete button on your keyboard to remove it from the macro Editor line. Do the same thing for the second '10 ms' delay tile to delete it too. 
    (Or you can leave them in - it doesn't matter, I just think it looks neater if you delete them. Plus you'll save yourself from wasting 20ms each tile you run the macro!!)

5. So now you should have three tiles in this order: 'Alt pressed', 'Tab', 'Alt released'

Now it will work!!

You can also do the same thing to make 'Ctrl + Tab' by following the above instructions but pressing the 'Ctrl' key instead of selecting the 'Alt' key from the 'Special Keys' line.

Cheers,

Esther

• Proposed as answer by JFaller Tuesday, December 6, 2016 5:11 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:57 AM
  • I know it's a year later but I don't care. THANK YOU SO MUCH. After dealing with it for months this was the fix I needed.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 5:12 PM
  • Thanks a lot, this was a bit frustrating. Works like a charm!
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:21 AM