none
POWER BI - Get data from sharepoint (file in folder on sharepoint) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I'm new to power BI, please bare with me:) 

I am working a .pbix on Power BI Desktop and want to connect POWER BI to get data directly from our sharepoint. 

I am follwing these steps here: 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/40040.power-bi-two-way-to-get-data-from-sharepoint-list-library.aspx    - the "Get SharePoint List/Library Using SharePoint List Connection" . 

THe thing is the file I need is inside a folder on the sharepoint.  I can see the list of contents of the sharepoint, I can see that specific folder inside the query, I filter out all other rows showing other folders/items I don;t need to import but I can't figure out how to access the content of this folder.  Can you help here ?

Thanks!

CHeers,

Friday, November 9, 2018 12:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi MihneaN. Have you tried doing Get Data -> SharePoint Folder (rather than SharePoint List)?

Ehren

Friday, November 9, 2018 8:52 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ehren,

I have tried but I'm doing something wrong when entering the address in Get Data->From Folder : "The folder path must be a valid absolute file path." Can you help, please? 

Thanks

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 10:44 AM
  • Hi there. Look for "SharePoint Folder", not "Folder".

Ehren

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 5:59 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ehren,

I tried with "Sharepoint Folder" but got the below:

"We encountered an error while trying to connect.

Details: "Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Resources.HttpResource: Request failed: 
    OData Version: 3 and 4, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)
    OData Version: 4, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)
    OData Version: 3, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)" 

So for now I have that file from the sharepoint linked with excel via a power query and then load this into BI, don;t get it why I can't do this directly from sharepoint to BI...

Thanks for your help!

Thursday, November 22, 2018 1:21 PM
  • Going back to your first post: When you say you're following the tutorial: Do you see this dialogue?

Which exact parts of the steps shown in the tutorial don't work/look different that what happens on your machine?

Imke Feldmann - MVP Data Platform (PowerBI) - http://www.TheBIccountant.com 

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful - Thanks!

Sunday, November 25, 2018 6:56 AM
  • Hi

Bit late to this party, but having the same issue. Working through the tutprial, I also get the below text and no further

I have spoken with the team who manage SharePoint and there are no permissions issues for me and the data on the folder i wish to use, the folder only contains 2 x csv files so unsure if that would even be an issue.

I have also tried a number of blogs and other guides and all end up with the same issue?!  Are there issues with the version of Power BI - I am pro user so assumed it would be ok to use?!

Any advice would be welcome....thank you

"We encountered an error while trying to connect.

Details: "Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Resources.HttpResource: Request failed: 
    OData Version: 3 and 4, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)
    OData Version: 4, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)
    OData Version: 3, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)" 

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:55 PM
  • Hi PBI4Ever. Can you answer Imke's questions? The more info you can provide, the easier it will be for us to pinpoint the root cause of the error.

Ehren

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 5:28 PM
    Owner
  • Hello PBI4Ever, 
    I need to take a look at the logs. Can you please send me a private message in PowerBI community. 
    Username : imprsnt

Friday, January 24, 2020 8:31 PM