none
URGENT - Unable to send Mail - EXC2010 - Database dismounted (even though its not)

Question

• Hi All

Server details:

Exchange 2010

Virtual Environment

We recently shut down the exchange server, as we were changing network config on our storage and core, when we bought the server back on line it would not bring network adapter back (VMXNET 3)

WE had to do an OS Disk restore, (Kepth the Database and logs disks as they were) and after some cleaning up with virtual hardware, the server is now stable, but Exchange is not sending mails at the moment.

The database is showing as Mounted, but mails sit in the queue and do not send out

When running Troubleshooting assistant i get an error of:

Result of Test-MapiConnectivity for mailbox database "Mailbox Database 19056XXX" on server SERVER was "FAILURE" with error=database is dismounted

when i go to check the database it shows as Mounted

Need urgent help on this as we have no mail at the moment :(

• Edited by Hussain Ugradar Monday, November 30, 2015 9:32 PM Subject Change
    Monday, November 30, 2015 9:25 PM

Answers

• With your message above about the event log regarding unable to write...that's storage latency.  Exchange isn't going to mount that database if it can't talk to the actual EDB and .log files.  I'm willing to bet that's your issue.

For fun, you could try to copy some large non exchange files (1GB or so) to and from those disks with just a copy paste.  I'm guessing it will take a long time for that to complete.  That will verify your storage latency and hopefully get your netapp / vmware folks to stop thinking it's an exchange issue.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:38 PM
  • After restoring exchange to local disks on one of the hosts, the issue has gone away

so seems like a storage issue

we are back up and running as of Wednesday, so no further assistance required on Exchange for now

Saturday, December 5, 2015 11:59 PM

All replies

• Urgent issues should be handled by Microsoft Support. The supported method to restore an Exchange Server is with the /recoverserver switch.

Restoring a virtual snapshot is not supported if that is what you did:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj619301%28v=exchg.160%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Having said that, I assume there are other errors in the event logs?

have you checked test-serverhealth and run ExBpa against the server? Any kerberos, time sync or AD errors in the logs?

If you are down, you should open a case with Microsoft Support. The Forums are not intended for urgent support.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Monday, November 30, 2015 10:05 PM
  • No errors in the error log

ExBPa comes back fine

no time sync errors or AD errors, all syncing fine ..

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:31 AM
  • Wouldn't be the first time the console has lied...what happens if you use the shell and run "get-mailboxdatabasecopystatus".
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:57 AM
  • Might be storage issue (NETAPP)

seeing this in the logs:

Information Store (272) Mailbox Database 1905602538: A request to write to the file "E:\Exchange Database\Mailbox Database 1905602538\Mailbox Database 1905602538.edb" at offset 189673275392 (0x0000002c29688000) for 327680 (0x00050000) bytes has not completed for 68 second(s). This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem. 

The datastore the E Drive is on, also becomes inactive intermittently 

Storage keeps going inactive so cant get Shell to run at the moment :(

NETAPP and VMWAre are playing the blame game at the moment ...

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 4:08 AM
  • Name                                          Status          CopyQueue ReplayQueue LastInspectedLogTime   ContentIndex
                                                                  Length    Length                             State
    ----                                          ------          --------- ----------- --------------------   ------------
    Mailbox Database 1905602538\ELITEEXCHANGE     Mounted         0         0                                  Failed
    Archive Mailbox Database\ELITEEXCHANGE        Mounting        0         0                                  Failed

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 4:19 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description and error message, it indicate that it might be caused by a broken virtual disk.

Please backup Exchange server and database first before starting troubleshooting this issue.

Try move mailbox database to other virtual disk by Database Portability, for your reference:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876926(v=exchg.141).aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 7:52 AM
  • As soon as we start to put any load on Exchange the Datastore becomes inactive

so it does not seem to be an OS issue actually ..

unless you can tell me otherwise?

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:23 AM
  • With your message above about the event log regarding unable to write...that's storage latency.  Exchange isn't going to mount that database if it can't talk to the actual EDB and .log files.  I'm willing to bet that's your issue.

For fun, you could try to copy some large non exchange files (1GB or so) to and from those disks with just a copy paste.  I'm guessing it will take a long time for that to complete.  That will verify your storage latency and hopefully get your netapp / vmware folks to stop thinking it's an exchange issue.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:38 PM
  • After restoring exchange to local disks on one of the hosts, the issue has gone away

so seems like a storage issue

we are back up and running as of Wednesday, so no further assistance required on Exchange for now

Saturday, December 5, 2015 11:59 PM