none
Poll: FIM 2010 R2 Synchronization Upgrade Time Elapsed RRS feed

• General discussion

• The guide says, estimate is 4 hours, not sure if this is with an empty sync db, but I left mine running for 48 hours and it still hadn't completed the upgrade before the unfortunate event the server rebooted from a Automatic Windows Update, doah! I will disable the service next time before I begin :)

The sync engine only has 5 MAs, with about 170k unique person objects and less than 50 groups (less than 10 with 20k+ members).

So, I am wondering what the real-world (not in a lab unless its an extensive lab setup) experience others have been in upgrading the sync engine.

I'll reply with my experience as soon as the upgrade finishes, pending no reboots happen between now and then :)

Friday, September 28, 2012 1:48 AM

All replies

• Well I just had one take 29 hours, but it turned out there were serious disk latency problems in that Dev environment. I'm waiting to hear how it went in Test (the customer is doing that one, following the instructions I wrote up for them). This was a much smaller environment that yours - 70k objects and no groups.

Certainly the groups with the 20k members would slow things down considerably as all the references have to get reconstructed in the new way.

Can't believe the server rebooted on you - what a killer!

http://www.wapshere.com/missmiis

Friday, September 28, 2012 8:59 AM
  • If you run SQL Profiler, you can get an idea of what's going on in the background.

My Book - Active Directory, 4th Edition
    My Blog - www.briandesmond.com

Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:49 PM
  • I opt'd for deleting the connector spaces of my the HR Groups, Active Directory, and FIM management agents, upgrading, full import, full sync. This actually took less time (about 6 hours for the upgrade and 12 hours to get all the data imported and sync'd, exported) to complete verses the 2+ days I was going on with an in-place upgrade.
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:51 AM