Outlook keeps prompting for credentials RRS feed

• Question

•                  

Lately, we have been fighting Outlook prompt for credentials in our environment. We have tried removing the credentials and adding them manually in credential manager. Nothing seems to work.

What did spark my attention in credential manager, after login with user and password, the credentials did not get placed in the generic field. It was placed in the windows credential field with persistence set to "Login Session". Which found out later on, this should be "Enterprise". Does anyone know how I can accomplish this task? 

We did discover a solution, we had to manually delete the MS.Outlook.15:xxxx@company.com credential. Renter the same credentials in Generic Credentials. After logging off, everything worked. 

Its like the credentials are not updating in the right location. Any help will be appreciated. 

Friday, September 15, 2017 7:03 PM

All replies

• Hi THE_BOY_WONDER,

Does this issue affect all users in your environment?
    Is there any error message in the prompt?
    If possible, could you please share the screenshot about the prompt then we can do further research on this? 

Besides, what's the version of your Operating system? As my knowledge about Windows credentials is limited, personally I'd like to encourage you also post to the Windows forum for more assistance related to the Windows credentials. 

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 18, 2017 9:17 AM
  • I have ran into this often when users change their password.  Have you tried deleting all the Office16 windows credentials and re-entering them.  Some may be mismatched.  I've found it best to clear them all as shown in this video: https://youtu.be/kjRx1U8l7sU

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 5:55 PM