none
Protection Group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am configuring protection group for my enviroment. I didn't see on wizard how I can to choose a first server that backup job will run.

Someone knows ?

regards

Wilson Nadim www.tecnicowilson.com
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:10 PM

Answers

• Once you create a PG protecting some workloads, you specify the backup time periods (/interval) when the backups should be triggered. DPM does not give preferential treatments to some servers while backing up. 

You may want to create separate PG with slightly different backup times for your preferred servers, if that is what your concern is. 

Thanks,

Parag

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:16 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.... are you wondering how to prioritize the backup order of the various servers?  You are thinking of traditional backup software.  With DPM you really have to rethink the way backups are done.

All servers in a protection group are synchronized periodically throughout the day (default is every 15 minutes).  Recovery point snapshots are taken at scheduled times.  You no longer have to worry about "backup windows" or anything like that.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Once you create a PG protecting some workloads, you specify the backup time periods (/interval) when the backups should be triggered. DPM does not give preferential treatments to some servers while backing up. 

You may want to create separate PG with slightly different backup times for your preferred servers, if that is what your concern is. 

Thanks,

Parag

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Hi Rod and Parag, thanks for help 

In my case, I think that does not have sincronization because I 'm using bakup tape. As I can see, sincronization only occurs when is used storage ..I 'm not  really sure about this...

Well, I 'm asking about wich servers will be  backed up first. For exemple, I created one PG. I configured this PG backing up many servers, as Exchange, SQL , File server and other services that I've in my enviroment...But, what I need to know, Wich server will be backed up first ?

Regards,

Wilson Nadim www.tecnicowilson.com
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:58 PM