Prompted for Username & Password in WSS 3.0 but can access Central Administration without authentication RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hoping someone can help guide me in determining why I am getting prompted to type in a username and password when viewing a site in WSS 3.0 but not when I am accessing the Central Administration site.

Background:

This is a new WSS 3.0 build and I am creating a new test site to insure I can move and restore sites from another SharePoint server. The issue I am running into is authentication. As I stated above, I can access the Central Administration site without any problems. I don't get prompted for a username and password. However, when I create a new site, I am getting prompted to enter a username and password. I have even made myself the site owner but it still asks me for a username and password.

Here is a little more info that might be the root of the problem. The company I am working for is currently migrating its users to a new domain. Let's call the new domain, DOMAIN-NEW and the current domain, DOMAIN-OLD.  I have been informed that there is a trust between the two domains. However, when I get prompted for a username/password and enter my credentials for DOMAIN-OLD it does not accept my credentials, but if use my Domain-NEW credentials I can access the site. So I am confused as to why I can access the Central Administration site without being prompted for a username/password but when I try to access a site I am getting a username/password.

I have added both my domain accounts to the administrator's group on the local machine and I am still getting prompted for a username and password when I access sites, but not for Central Administration.

Please help!

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, December 10, 2010 5:34 PM Getting and SharePoint not necessary in Title which was too long
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, December 10, 2010 8:32 PM Nothing to do with accessibility for the physically challenged (From:SharePoint - Accessibility (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, December 10, 2010 5:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you add your site as trusted site in your browser. If you are using IE then follow some steps.

Go to Tools-->Internet Access-->Trusted Site-->Sites and add your site here.

Now click Custom Level security-->"Automatic Login in Intranet Zone only" should be checked.

When you open your site if it asks for authentication then check "Sign me automatically" and login.

Let me know if you are still having the same problem after this small testing

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    Monday, December 13, 2010 7:55 AM