none
MDT 2013 - Errors on Install Operating System RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have previously been using batch files to deploy our WIM files using ImageX.

I'm trying to make them work with MDT 2013 now and thought I had it all working.

I can happily deploy the image to a HP Pro 6200 desktop PC and told my colleagues to start using it.

The first PC they tried to do was a HP ProDesk 600 G1 EFF - and disaster, the process fails! I made sure I had the latest drivers and it made no difference. There are several errors shown in the output: 0x80004005, 0x80004004 and 000015F8.

The MDT server is running as a guest inside VMware. I did a little testing and if I try to run the task sequence in a VM on the same host its fine, but if I move that VM to the other (identical) host it doesn't work.

I started pinging the MDT server from the ProDesk 600 and the response times are usually <1ms, but they randomly jump up, to 28ms in one case, although didn't watch for long.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this? Going to try manoeuvring everything to be within the one switch next.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I have previously been using batch files to deploy our WIM files using ImageX.

I'm trying to make them work with MDT 2013 now and thought I had it all working.

I can happily deploy the image to a HP Pro 6200 desktop PC and told my colleagues to start using it.

The first PC they tried to do was a HP ProDesk 600 G1 EFF - and disaster, the process fails! I made sure I had the latest drivers and it made no difference. There are several errors shown in the output: 0x80004005, 0x80004004 and 000015F8.

The MDT server is running as a guest inside VMware. I did a little testing and if I try to run the task sequence in a VM on the same host its fine, but if I move that VM to the other (identical) host it doesn't work.

I started pinging the MDT server from the ProDesk 600 and the response times are usually <1ms, but they randomly jump up, to 28ms in one case, although didn't watch for long.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this? Going to try manoeuvring everything to be within the one switch next.

The first PC they tried to do was a HP ProDesk 600 G1 EFF - and disaster, the process fails! 

Do you have log files? Please define the process fails. Where is it failing.

There are several errors shown in the output: 0x80004005, 0x80004004 and 000015F8- are generic error codes, hence not enough info

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:28 PM
  • It fails on the Install Operating System task. Sometimes gets as far as 2% or even as much as 10% but NEVER completes.

Which log file will be most useful? Currently at home and was when I typed the above so don't have access to any logs right now.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:51 PM
  • It fails on the Install Operating System task. Sometimes gets as far as 2% or even as much as 10% but NEVER completes.

Which log file will be most useful? Currently at home and was when I typed the above so don't have access to any logs right now.

BDD.log and SMSTS.log  should do

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:56 PM
  • Ok will get those logs - does it seem plausible that its network? Ive swapped the cable with the working PC and it made no odds, perhaps the NIC on the ProDesk 600 is more sensitive to connectivity issues?
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:16 PM
  • Logs are at:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E05EC91436BFA151!1687&authkey=!AGsgzjMo4t81DKw&ithint=folder%2c.log

Error 5624 = FAILURE: Run ImageX: <command>. While applying the operating system image to the disk using ImageX, a non-zero return code was returned.

I would say it is either  a problem with your MDT configurations (paths, drivers, task sequence etc

Can you manualy apply the .wim from imagex? Try pulling up a command prompt and running "imagex.exe /apply "d:\[path to WIM file]" 1 c:\"

Friday, March 7, 2014 2:51 PM
  • Exactly the same task sequence works on another PC though. I tried enabling Multicast

I had disabled multicast because I was getting poor throughput (3COM switch was probably flooding the multicast traffic, no IGMP snooping or RPs etc), but doing Multicast to this VM meant that the process worked fine.

I had found a forum post where someone had disabled SMB2 to fix this issue  - I tried it and it made no difference on the HP ProDesk 600. I tried it this afternoon with the VM and worked fine!

Weird. Just weird. Especially since the process works fine with SMB2 enabled when the VM is on the same host and works fine to a HP 6200.

I'll retry a ProDesk 600 with the SMB2 disabled on Monday, if I get time.

Friday, March 7, 2014 7:17 PM
  • Was indeed SMB2/3.

We deployed three of the affected workstation models today.

• Marked as answer by Harkertron Friday, March 14, 2014 7:49 PM
    Friday, March 14, 2014 7:49 PM