none
Project Server 2010 Customizing Risks RRS feed

• Question

• In my org. every department needs a different Risk template due to the inherent difference in the type of projects undertaken by each department and we have a large no of projects per department.  

I have tried creating a custom Risk content type and deployed it to a Project Site and that works fine for a project site. 

So now if I have to use this modified Risk List across all new project sites, I will need to save the site template and deploy it to Project Server..

But  that still means that all new Project Sites will use the same Project  Risk List

So how can I create different Project Risk Templates  for different types of Projects when I Create  New Project using a specific  EPT ?

• Edited by MathurP Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:01 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If I understand your requirement, you have several different EPT's each for a different department that have different risk template requirements.

In your situation, it sounds like you would need to create different risk content types for each of your specific EPT / risk customisations.

If there are similarities, you can have those risk templates inheriting from a master risk content type.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by MathurP Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:41 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:49 AM
  • For a Specific EPT one specific template can be used, so you might want to create multiple EPT and associating different workspace template to each EPT and then based on project type users can choose the specific EPT to create Project which in turn will have the specific Risk template within workspace

and since you say there are different project types, hence assuming there would be different project templates as well so, when you categorize project types based on EPT you can assign specific project template + workspace template, hence having Plan auto populate based on the template and worksite created accordingly

Let us know if i am missing something here

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If I understand your requirement, you have several different EPT's each for a different department that have different risk template requirements.

In your situation, it sounds like you would need to create different risk content types for each of your specific EPT / risk customisations.

If there are similarities, you can have those risk templates inheriting from a master risk content type.

Alex Burton
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by MathurP Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:41 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:49 AM
  • For a Specific EPT one specific template can be used, so you might want to create multiple EPT and associating different workspace template to each EPT and then based on project type users can choose the specific EPT to create Project which in turn will have the specific Risk template within workspace

and since you say there are different project types, hence assuming there would be different project templates as well so, when you categorize project types based on EPT you can assign specific project template + workspace template, hence having Plan auto populate based on the template and worksite created accordingly

Let us know if i am missing something here

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Hi,

Sunil is spot on, the only way to meet that requirement is to create different EPT's each with a different template, containing the relevant risk customisations.

Is there some other reason we are not aware of for this not being the answer?

Alex Burton
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:27 PM