Media Card Reader Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I just had a custom pc built for me a few weeks ago. It has a floppy and card reader, and is configured in a dual boot with win vista home premium and win xp media center 2005. After installing both windows versions, everything was working fine until about a week and a half ago.

Now the media reader won't show up in my computer, neither in vista nor xp. I asked the builder and was told that it was an issue with my other connected usb drives(hdd and dvd-rw). After disconnecting them until after bootup, the reader showed back up, but now it's gone again. Is there any way to assure that windows will recognize my card reader? Thanks!

My system config is:

Asus P5N-E SLI

Intel core 2 Q6600

2 GB DDR2 800

Evga 8800GTS

X-fi Extreme Gamer

Hauppauge winTV 1800

2 500GB hdd - no raid, 4 partitions, vista on one phys. drive, xp on the other

sansung writemaster DVD-rw, internal

floppy drive

9 in 1 media card reader

External 320GB hdd

External Lite-on 20A1P DVD-rw

Sunday, December 16, 2007 7:47 AM

Answers

• Hello Mass,

Thanks for your post!

According to your description, this issue is very possibly caused by hardware devices confliction. For such issues, we are not the best support resource, I highly recommend you to contact ASUS to report this issue and find a solution.

For your reference, please update the drivers of the motherboard, chipset and BIOS in both Windows Vista and Windows XP, then check if this issue goes away. Based on experience, many similar issues are related to legacy drivers.

I hope this issue can be fixed soon! If I misunderstood your concern, please feel free to let me know. Thanks!

Merry Christmas, Mass!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:37 AM