App-V Apps Bandwidth Control RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

How is bandwidth managed in App-V using full infrastructure ?

We have 2 MGMt servers with NLB in our enviroment and there are 20K users .We have BOB servers in different locations for which we are planning to place all the applications on these servers . How do i replicate applications to all the BOB servers , and how to configure the app-v client to connect to nearest BOB server for streaming the application.?

Publishing protocol - RTSP

Streaming -HTTP

• Edited by KV Anand Monday, July 29, 2013 6:39 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 6:35 AM

Answers

• Well, most of your questions depend on your BOB solution and capabilities.

Most BranchOffice Solutions I know work 'transparent' to the users/Clients: they 'think' that they are connecting to a Server in the central Location, but the BO solution actually delivers the data. Microsoft's BranchCahce and Citrix' BranchRepeater (does it still have that Name) work this way. Alternatively, you can specify the 'ApplicationSourceRoot' registry value on your App-V Clients: this value overrides the original central server URL with a local Server Location, even allowing to Switch between RTSP, HTTP or SMB protocols.  

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:29 PM

All replies

• Presumably you're utilising App-V 4.x? If haven't explicitly stated this.

Bandwidth is not managed by the App-V infrastructure itself - you'll need to implement local replicas of the Content share or utilise caching technologies such as BranchCache.

What does BOB stand for?

You could implement DFS (and DFS-Replication) to replicate the Content share between the remote sites. See the ApplicationSourceRoot of property of the client to configure a local streaming source.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, July 29, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Yes , We are utilizing App-V 4.6 .

BOB- "Branch office on the box"  Its Repository for Altiriis Packages.

Does DFS support HTTP protocol for streaming the applications and right now our content folder is also NLB configured does it support NLB as well ?

Monday, July 29, 2013 10:21 AM
  • DFS is a file replication and namespace solution for SMB. IIS would still be needed for HTTP. Read more on DFS here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753479(v=ws.10).aspx

DFS work independently of NLB.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, November 1, 2013 7:52 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Well, most of your questions depend on your BOB solution and capabilities.

Most BranchOffice Solutions I know work 'transparent' to the users/Clients: they 'think' that they are connecting to a Server in the central Location, but the BO solution actually delivers the data. Microsoft's BranchCahce and Citrix' BranchRepeater (does it still have that Name) work this way. Alternatively, you can specify the 'ApplicationSourceRoot' registry value on your App-V Clients: this value overrides the original central server URL with a local Server Location, even allowing to Switch between RTSP, HTTP or SMB protocols.  

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:29 PM