Updates download in WSUS server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Need to understand how we can know if updates are getting downloaded properly in the WSUS server.

I can see some files downloaded in the content location in the server but if we want to know if a particular patch is downloaded or not, how can we do that?

Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Anne/Don,

Thank you for your replies.

But what I am trying to understand here is that how can I make sure that the contents for the required updates are getting correctly downloaded in the WSUS server.

As per my understanding after the synchronisation of the WSUS console with the MS cloud catalog, only the Metadata of the the updates are downloaded and reflected in the console. The actual update related files are only downloaded in the WSUS server once the patches are approved. So I just want to make sure that that the second part is happening properly. I didn't find the KB entries in the log files I checked.

Please correct me if my understanding on this is wrong.

Thank you guys!

Update files/packages are downloaded depending upon the settings you have configured at Options/Update Files (e.g. "download only when approved")

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Monday, May 2, 2016 8:25 AM
  • But what I am trying to understand here is that how can I make sure that the contents for the required updates are getting correctly downloaded in the WSUS server.

check the first/main WSUS console/summary screen - look at the "Download Status" section:

Monday, May 2, 2016 8:31 AM

All replies

• examine the WSUS server-side logs @ c:\program files\update services\logfiles\

Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:11 AM
  • Hi Curious_Techie,

Maybe you want to use "Search" to find a specific KB, then double-click the KB to view the report of the KB:

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 29, 2016 5:02 AM
  • Hi Anne/Don,

But what I am trying to understand here is that how can I make sure that the contents for the required updates are getting correctly downloaded in the WSUS server.

As per my understanding after the synchronisation of the WSUS console with the MS cloud catalog, only the Metadata of the the updates are downloaded and reflected in the console. The actual update related files are only downloaded in the WSUS server once the patches are approved. So I just want to make sure that that the second part is happening properly. I didn't find the KB entries in the log files I checked.

Thank you guys!

Monday, May 2, 2016 3:28 AM
  • Hi Anne/Don,

Thank you guys!

Update files/packages are downloaded depending upon the settings you have configured at Options/Update Files (e.g. "download only when approved")

Monday, May 2, 2016 8:25 AM
  • But what I am trying to understand here is that how can I make sure that the contents for the required updates are getting correctly downloaded in the WSUS server.

check the first/main WSUS console/summary screen - look at the "Download Status" section:

Monday, May 2, 2016 8:31 AM
  • Thanks DonPick,

I think this answer my query in a way.

Much appreciated.

Monday, May 9, 2016 7:35 AM