none
Unable to Backup Hyper-V Guest - Error 104 RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon all.

Weird problem here. I have a functioning DPM installation that is happily backing up production file and system workloads. Moving into the 2nd phase of my deployment, I'm starting to add Hyper-V Hosts for guest level backups. In testing on my prod server against a test Hyper-V host, I've had good success backing up and restoring VMs, and performing item level recovery.

I've added a 2nd Hyper-V host to backup a production workload. The server is a replication point for our main farm, but has a single live guest on it. When I attempt to create a replica, the consistency check fails repeatedly with the following error:

The replica of Online\GUEST on HOST is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. (ID: 3106)

An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID: 104)

This is pretty useless as far as I can tell. All my searching on forms have come up empty. It seems that the 104 error is a catch all for any error in DPM that has no handle. Makes it pretty hard to poinpoint issues...

I've tried to add offline VMs to the backup to see if it was an issue with the one server, but they fail as well. Not sure if they need to be online or not.

I have been successful in performing file level backups on the Hyper-V host server, so I know the agent is configured to talk to the DPM server correctly.

Anyone have insight into this? I'm coming up empty.

Thanks

Friday, September 15, 2017 8:46 PM

All replies

• Slight bit more error details. 

An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID 104 Details: Call context cannot be accessed after call completed (0x80010117))

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:53 PM