Software License Compliance RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question but...has anyone discussed license complianse from the software vendors' point of view?  for example, does Adobe licensing support virtualizing their app?  Or Matlab or Crystal Report?  I work for a large organization and we are invesitgating AP-V but the licensing question has come up and I haven't found discussion about it.  It would be nice if there was a list of Software which has license support for application virtualization.

Thoughts?

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:11 PM

Answers

• I don't think that application virtualisation would change the licensing requirements for applications (e.g. per user or per device). So you will need to ensure you can still comply with those requirements, in much the same way as you need to account for licensing when delivering apps via Terminal Server/RDS/XenApp etc.

Quite frankly, software vendors who drag their feet can take a hike. We need to deliver applications as quickly and dynamically as we can and if they don't get on board, they are getting in the way of their clients saving on deployment costs.

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:57 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:59 PM

All replies

• Hello,

From a licensing perspective I don't believe anyone has made any difference of how the application is distributed. 

/Znack
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:05 PM
  • I don't think that application virtualisation would change the licensing requirements for applications (e.g. per user or per device). So you will need to ensure you can still comply with those requirements, in much the same way as you need to account for licensing when delivering apps via Terminal Server/RDS/XenApp etc.

Quite frankly, software vendors who drag their feet can take a hike. We need to deliver applications as quickly and dynamically as we can and if they don't get on board, they are getting in the way of their clients saving on deployment costs.

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:57 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:59 PM