sharepoint default library permissions edit RRS feed

• Question

• Can we edit  permissions of the following default libraries

AnalyticsReports, FormServerTemplates,ReportingTemplates,SiteCollectionDocuments.

reason - when we access sharepoint site via windows explorer there are many system folders showing up, most of the folders do not allow to add files but the above list of libraries allow adding files. So i want restrict normal users from adding files to above libraries

it would be great if someone can explain the purpose of these libraries.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't have any document for that. This is just based on my experience and SharePoint permission hierarchy model. Basic thing is, if you give any permission on top level, by default all child gets inherited with same permission level.

If you want to show something to your client so you can show this architecture:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/sharepoint-server-help/about-controlling-access-to-sites-and-site-content-HA010100144.aspx

I don't have anything else with me

Hope it could help

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Please feel free to unmark answer if does not resolves your problem.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hello,

All libraries part of publishing feature so it seems you have enabled it for your site.

Normal users do not get contribute rights on above libraries so it depends on your permission hierarchy. If you have provided contribute access to normal user at site level then by default they will also get same access on above libraries. So you first make sure about your site level permission.

However you can edit the user permission for each library. Please follow the belwo steps to modify the permission for specific library:

login to your site-->site action-->view all site contents-->click on your library-->select library tab from riibon and click library permissions-->now here you can see the access right of this library. To modify, click on stop inheriting permissions-->select your user-->edit permission-->provide proper access.

Do same for rest libraries. If you do it at site level then you don't need to do it for each library because they will auto inherit from site.

Hope it could help

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:03 AM
  • Dear Hemedra

Yes, Normal users do not get contribute to those libraries. (I gave contribute to users on site permissions..because i want them to allow access to site via windows explorer ....please refer http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadminlegacy/thread/0d306689-a058-447d-af63-3aee24327142).

can you also let me know if removing inheritance on these libraries will cause any problem later in future.

Thanks - Azmat

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:24 AM
  • >can you also let me know if removing inheritance on these libraries will cause any problem later in future.

No issue. You can remove contribute rights and provide them only read access.

If you require higher rights on any of library then you again modify this in future but right now it is ok to have view rights for users.

Hope it could help

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:27 AM
  • Dear Hemedra,

Thanks for the info. But in our environment any changes to be made requires some kind of vendor document. can you please point me to some link where you got this information.

Thanks, Azmat

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:06 AM
  • Hi,

I don't have any document for that. This is just based on my experience and SharePoint permission hierarchy model. Basic thing is, if you give any permission on top level, by default all child gets inherited with same permission level.

If you want to show something to your client so you can show this architecture:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/sharepoint-server-help/about-controlling-access-to-sites-and-site-content-HA010100144.aspx

I don't have anything else with me

Hope it could help

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:17 AM
  •  

I got your point, but the article refers to user defined objects not on system objects.

If it was user defined objects we don’t have to think much about changing permissions, but when it is system objects we should understand the implications before changing the inheritance or permissions.

I will see if I can convince my manager about changing the permissions and see if it causes any issues on the site. It would be great if can you share any experience which required the change in system object permissions.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:47 AM