Moving SCOM 2007 SP1 to another Machine and to R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I will use for SCOM a much more powerfull server. The curent installation is SCOM 2007 SP1 all-in-one.

I was thinking about performing a new install of SCOM 2007 R2 on the new machine (also all-in-one) , then move the customization (OpsMgr database, MPs, etc.) to the new machine. I don't need to take over the reporting and the correspomding DW database.

Currently, I am regularly backing up the essential SCOM infos as described in "SCOM 2007 Unleashed", Chapter 12, using the script "backup.bat" from the CD. Given this fact, I believe that what I have to do is to follow the disaster recovery steps listed on p. 587. Is this correct?

TIA

Alex
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Graham,

thanks for your keen eyes. I had missed that one totally! Alex, Graham is totally right. Their are two ways to go about it in the approach I described earlier:

1: You install a MS based on OpsMgr 2007 SP1 and perform an upgrade to R2 and run a promotion of the MS to RMS.
    2: You upgrade to R2 first and than add a MS based on OpsMgr R2 which you promote to RMS then

Best regards, Marnix Wolf

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)

I like option 2 better.  Upgrade is already a complicated action.  You are better off upgrading first then moving you MG to another MS.
    Rob Kuehfus | System Center Operations Manager | Setup and Deployment Program Manager
    • Proposed as answer by Graham Davies Monday, October 12, 2009 6:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rob Kuehfus Sunday, October 18, 2009 5:54 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 4:51 PM

All replies

• What you colud do as well (another scenario) is to install the new server as a Management Server in the same Management Group, move all monitored objects over to that server, movbe the databases to that server and when all that is working well, you could promote the MS to RMS and when all that is well, phase out the old RMS.

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:22 PM
  • Hi Alex \ Marnix

I'm not sure you'll be able to install SCOM R2 on a new server and then move the old OpsMgr databases across - you'll effectively be attaching an SP1 database to an R2 install. Worth a test run first.

If we could step back a bit - how many agents do you have? Even if you have all components on one server I'd consider a secondary MS which the agents use as their Primary, leaving the RMS to carry out all its duties without having to be responsible for agents as well.

I don't know the unleashed book says - it is a few years old. But you might want to take a look here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc540383.aspx

and:

http://blogs.technet.com/kevinholman/archive/2008/04/12/what-sql-maintenance-should-i-perform-on-my-opsmgr-databases.aspx

Good Luck.

Graham 

View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Hi Graham,

thanks for your keen eyes. I had missed that one totally! Alex, Graham is totally right. Their are two ways to go about it in the approach I described earlier:

1: You install a MS based on OpsMgr 2007 SP1 and perform an upgrade to R2 and run a promotion of the MS to RMS.
    2: You upgrade to R2 first and than add a MS based on OpsMgr R2 which you promote to RMS then

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    • Proposed as answer by Arie de Haan Monday, October 12, 2009 9:29 PM
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Hi Graham,

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)

I like option 2 better.  Upgrade is already a complicated action.  You are better off upgrading first then moving you MG to another MS.
    Rob Kuehfus | System Center Operations Manager | Setup and Deployment Program Manager
    • Proposed as answer by Graham Davies Monday, October 12, 2009 6:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rob Kuehfus Sunday, October 18, 2009 5:54 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 4:51 PM