OS Slowness, especially after logon. ATP related? RRS feed

• Question

• Since enrolling a machine in the ATP preview, I've experienced some severe performance issues, especially right after a reboot or fresh logon.  As soon as I log on, I'm able to click the start button or launch pinned apps from the task bar, but perhaps 20-30 seconds later, the task bar and start button stop responding to any interaction.  I've seen a toast notification popup during that time, and it stuck on screen and couldn't be dismissed.  If I had opened an application before the taskbar stopped responding, I can still use that app, although if I try to browse for a file in it then the app becomes unresponsive.  

I'm not sure if this is caused by the ATP preview in some way, or if it's something with build 14342, or perhaps just something wrong with the installation of this build on my laptop.  I had only upgraded to 14342 a few days before the ATP preview came out, and hadn't used this laptop much in the interim, so it's possible that this was happening before I enrolled in ATP, I can't say for sure. 

Is anyone else experiencing this on a computer enrolled in the ATP preview?

Friday, May 20, 2016 12:48 PM

All replies

• Less likely that this is due to enrolling to the ATP preview but we would definitely like to further investigate.

If at all possible, right after system start up, ALT+CTRL+Delete and open "task manager" in expanded view. Sort processes tab by memory/CPU to locate the process constantly consuming most resources.

Please contact us with results through WinATP@microsoft.com and we will provide you with a few troubleshooting steps to make sure.

Friday, May 20, 2016 7:04 PM
  • I did try having task manager open, and at one point saw a windows defender related process using over 30% cpu, but it didn't stay there for long.  After several reboots, I'm finding that it isn't doing this every time.  I also noticed that the OS seems flaky at other times, not just immediately after boot, so I ran SFC which did find and repair some issues.  

I'm still seeing some weirdness though, it's even blue screened on me a few times.  That could easily be a Surface Book issue, or a Surface Book + Insider build issue.  At this point, I'm hoping that the next insider build will help.  I expect we'll probably be seeing one any day now, given that 14342 is nearly 2 weeks old... 

Monday, May 23, 2016 2:15 PM
  • From the Windows telemetry we could not identify a root cause.

Note an open Windows Hello bug on Surface devices that could cause blue screens, this has been fixed in future builds and can be easily mitigated by temporarily disabling Hello through Settings until next build is available.

Can you confirm the Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection process is the one consuming high CPU levels? We wish understand whether it is the ATP service or the Windows Defender Anti Malware service causing the issue, as these are two separate services.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Sorry, it is the Antimalware Service Executable that uses about 30-35% CPU for a bit after logon, not the ATP service.  ATP seems to float between .5% -2%. 
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 8:04 PM
  • Thanks. I am assuming this behavior from the Antimalware service is related to boot time malware scans but cannot confirm that.

However, we noticed you have received/upgraded to a newer build of Windows Insider Preview - were issues resolved following the upgrade?

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 4:16 PM
  • Yes, so far I've not had trouble since upgrading to the new build.  I wasn't aware of the windows Hello bug in 14342 until I saw the 14352 release notes, so that could very well have been related to my issue.  
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:14 PM