none
Adding background to left pane on Sharepoint online. RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently migrated from SharePoint 2013 to SharePoint online. On the old sharepoint page the left and top navigation panes had a blue background. But we lost that when we went to sharepoint online. Unfortunately the person who set up the original sharepoint a few years ago is no longer here and I am fairly new to this. I am assuming it's somewhere in the settings but I don't know where to look. Any help would be appreciated. ALSO - how can I get rid of the "Site Content" option on the left pane? It is not in the navigation list under site settings so I can't hide it.

Old SharePoint:

New SharePoint online:

Friday, May 15, 2020 2:04 PM

Answers

• Hi

The UI of your old SharePoint seems like customized by CSS, so you cannot recover it to the same as it was unless you find the CSS contents.

I don't think hide the Site contents link is necessary, but if you want, you can simply click edit link and remove it. The url is '/_layouts/15/viewlsts.aspx' so you can add it back when you need it.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Learn Microsoft 365 from Microsoft DOCs now!
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Monday, May 18, 2020 1:58 AM

All replies

• Hi

The UI of your old SharePoint seems like customized by CSS, so you cannot recover it to the same as it was unless you find the CSS contents.

I don't think hide the Site contents link is necessary, but if you want, you can simply click edit link and remove it. The url is '/_layouts/15/viewlsts.aspx' so you can add it back when you need it.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Learn Microsoft 365 from Microsoft DOCs now!
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Monday, May 18, 2020 1:58 AM
  • Hi J-Bal,

You can remove items by clicking 'edit links' button: 

As for changing style for the left nav, if it's classical experience, you can have a try below approach:

If it's modern UI, you could add CSS to the site via SPFx Extension:

Best Regards,

Baker Kong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click  here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, May 18, 2020 2:17 AM
  • Thanks! That was it. I found the old css file and uploaded and published and then it worked.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2020 7:43 PM