Anyone still having problems with dual screen monitors and Vista? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

Im still having problems with my dual screen monitors. I run a AMD 6200+, 4GB HyperX, 1x74GB Raptor, 1x160GB Seagate, 2x 500GB WD, ATI X2900 HD, 2x 19" VX922 Veiwsonic's (1024x1280), 850W Antec PSU, Windows Vista Ultimate (Legitimate, which is annoying to know i paid for something that doesnt work)

When I wake up my system after sleeping for a reasonable amount of time, my secondary monitor will not wake up, it will acknowlage that there is a signal there (green light flashes), but just a blank screen, primary monitor is never affected. all drivers and software are 100% up to date. I can get it back to life, but disabling it through windows then enabling it again, only to know that as soon as it goes to sleep again, it will not work again. a rather annoying problem.

All this happened after I installed SP1. I have also installed Ultramon 3.0.3 just to see if using something else to manage the monitor config would help.... it didnt.

I formatted 3 times yester to try and get this working, installed and re-installed drivers for the ATI and viewsonic so many times, i think they are permently burnt into my sectors :P.

Any ideas are very much appriciated. I havent contacted MS or ATI yet, because i know they are just going to blame each others product. Im close to returning to a copy of XP Pro.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 1:51 AM

All replies

• no prolbem whatsover. it just work. but then I am using evga gf9500 with the provided driver and utility

The only time it goes back  to one monitor mode is when the Vista is running and one of the display gets loose or disconnected.  In that event, I just make sure both displays properly connected and on. then put vista to sleep. wake it up and use the utility to set dual display again. quite painless that way
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:02 AM
  • It is definatly NOT a physical connection problem. I have already replaced both cables with very high quality DVI cables, rated well above the required specs.

Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:43 AM
  • so you get this one display instead of two once in a while ?
      or always can't get two to display?

do you have some very high end hi res display that the display card is having trouble?
    or have use the video card on xp for similar displays?

what if you power down the pc , disconnect power, reseat the video card, reseat the cables to both ends, finally cold start

just some questions that I hope may help you pin down the problem

ps please also inspect the cable end for bent or twisted pins. There should not be; still I saw  it happened once to someone
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:16 AM
  • I am having the same problem. It just occurred for with the automatic updates pushed out on 1/12/2010. It is a problem with Windows and NOT the hardware. I have confirmed with another friend that he is havign the expact same problem. Mine is now permanent. Windows 7 WILL NOT successfully use the VX922 Monitor even if I make it the primary and disable the second. I can take that same monitor to two other systems and it works just fine.  Everything was working fine until the auto-upates were added. I am using an NVIDIA GE 8500 GT. I can take this same machine and boot 2003 Server instead and it works just fine so we can take hardware out of the equation. 
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:06 PM