none
SQL fails when installing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I cannot get this thing to install and I have tried a number of times.

The error is:

---------------------------
    Microsoft Assessment and Planning Solution Accelerator Setup
    The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Solution Accelerator Setup Wizard failed while installing SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.

The process terminated unexpectedly
    OK

Inside the summary.txt from the sqlinstallerLogs.cab file I see:

" The SQL Server service failed to start. For more information, see the SQL Server Books Online topics, "How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files" and "Starting SQL Server Manually."

The error is (1067) The process terminated unexpectedly."

In the Error file from the sqlinstallerLogs.cab file I found this:

2008-03-27 10:52:52.44 spid5s Error: 15209, Severity: 16, State: 1.

2008-03-27 10:52:52.44 spid5s An error occurred during encryption.

2008-03-27 10:52:52.48 spid5s SQL Trace was stopped due to server shutdown. Trace ID = '1'. This is an informational message only; no user action is required.

I did try installing SQL 2005 Express edition separately and got the same error, and was able to change the account that the SQL service was running on from NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService to local system account and start the service but since the installer for this tool does not let you pick the account to run the service under I can't fix it that way...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:19 PM

Answers

• Andrew,

Sorry you're having trouble.

I'm not sure why you're encountering this issue with the SQL Server setup. I have a workaround for you and a favor to ask.

Workaround:
    Manually install an instance of SQL Express on the machine you want to install MAPSA on. here's the trick: During SQL Server install, choose the advanced options and name the SQL Server instance MAPS

After the MAPS SQL Server instance is installed, then just run the MAPSA installer. It will find the MSSQL$MAPS instance of SQL Server automatically and use it.

Favor:
    I'd like to take a look at your entire sqlInstallerLogs.cab file to see if we can determine the root cause of this & get it fixed. If you're willing, could we get in touch directly so that you could transfer this to me securely if you're comfortable doing so?

Thanks!
    Jay
    Monday, March 31, 2008 10:11 PM
  • Please kindly send us your log files and reference this TechNet Forum thread when you email us.  Our feedback email is:  mapfdbk@microsoft.com

Thank you,
    Baldwin Ng (MAP Team)
    BNg
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 4:45 PM

All replies

• Andrew,

Sorry you're having trouble.

I'm not sure why you're encountering this issue with the SQL Server setup. I have a workaround for you and a favor to ask.

Workaround:
    Manually install an instance of SQL Express on the machine you want to install MAPSA on. here's the trick: During SQL Server install, choose the advanced options and name the SQL Server instance MAPS

After the MAPS SQL Server instance is installed, then just run the MAPSA installer. It will find the MSSQL$MAPS instance of SQL Server automatically and use it.

Favor:
    I'd like to take a look at your entire sqlInstallerLogs.cab file to see if we can determine the root cause of this & get it fixed. If you're willing, could we get in touch directly so that you could transfer this to me securely if you're comfortable doing so?

Thanks!
    Jay
    Monday, March 31, 2008 10:11 PM
  • Hi Jay,

Thanks for the suggestion, I managed to find a 2K3 server where I could install the software instead of on my desktop and it worked fine (had it to run from the 28th until today). I will give your suggestion a try if I run into this again in future.

As far as uploading the full logs go, I can do so if you let me know here to send them.

Thanks
    Andrew
    Monday, April 7, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Please kindly send us your log files and reference this TechNet Forum thread when you email us.  Our feedback email is:  mapfdbk@microsoft.com

Thank you,
    Baldwin Ng (MAP Team)
    BNg
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 4:45 PM
  • BNg

I am having the same problem.

"Checking the collation order of SQL serverfailed

Errorr: Fail to start SQL instant Database engine sewrvices:

Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed

Smarthost Design Technologies LLC
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:45 PM
  • It's easier to diagnose SQL installation failures by removing MAP from the equation.

Start the SQL installer directly instead of using the MAP installer.

When running the SQL install, make sure to choose Advanced options and do these two things:

1) make sure you name the SQL instance to be installed "MAPS"

2) make sure you choose the correct default collation order (this will be set correctly automatically if your OS is set to en-US locale, otherwise you'll probably need to set it manually).  Instructions and screenshots on how to do this are in our FAQ: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd450979.aspx

Once you've isolated any installation failure messages from SQL Server, resolve them if they're obvious or follow up with SQL Server support if they're not.

Once you've gotten the MAPS instance of SQL Server installed correctly, just run the MAPS installer again.  It will see the existing SQL Server MAPS instance and use it without prompting you to install SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Jay

Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:42 PM