Ahhh Why won't any of My Folders open?? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know how to fix the problem:

Every folder that I try to open say this thing down here = V V

-- This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an assocation in the Default Programs control panel. --

At first I thougt if was just my flashdrive but then I went to other folders on my computer and they say the same thing, I can open them if I keep right clicking and click on Open on the list but other than that I can't open any folders just by clicking them open.

My computer uses Windows 7 so I really don't know what to do. If anyone can help me please. Also I click the stuff on the desktop like Recycle Bin and it open the folder but anything other than that just doesn't work past that point. Also all my application and other stuff work I can go the hard way into a folder and open music and pictures just fine. The only things that wrong is the folder saying that thing up there.

Please help me if you can.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Friday, January 14, 2011 6:35 PM Moved to more relevant forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Friday, January 14, 2011 5:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Would you please let me know if you made any changes on the computer before the issue occurring? let's perform a System Restore to check if the issue can be resolved.

If the issue persists, it can be caused by folder association losing. Let's restore the defaults for Folder Option.

Open Windows Explorer -> click Organize on tool bar-> Folder and search options -> On General and View Tab, click Restore Defaults

If it doesn't work, please go to the following site and download the Folder registry. Before importing the registry, please first export the following registry for backup.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder]

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:53 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:31 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem. Help would be greatly appreciated.
    Monday, January 17, 2011 3:09 AM
  • Hi,

Would you please let me know if you made any changes on the computer before the issue occurring? let's perform a System Restore to check if the issue can be resolved.

If the issue persists, it can be caused by folder association losing. Let's restore the defaults for Folder Option.

Open Windows Explorer -> click Organize on tool bar-> Folder and search options -> On General and View Tab, click Restore Defaults

If it doesn't work, please go to the following site and download the Folder registry. Before importing the registry, please first export the following registry for backup.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder]

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:53 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:31 AM