none
I want to create a Custom field with options of all Resources in the application to choose from. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm creating a Resource custom field - Manager. This is different from Timesheet Manager.I want the users to be able to choose any Resource in the application or maybe the group of Project Managers. Is this possible?What Formula do I use?

thanks

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:06 AM

Answers

• Hi msp admin,

OK I have just tried this for you, sorry but it does not seem like it is possible for you to be able to do this.

Sorry.  You could create  a field with a look up table and manually manage this list but I can see that this may become a admin overhead.  Apart from this I am not sure it is possible to do.  Sorry I was not able to give you a more positive answer.

Regards,

Dharmesh

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:34 AM

All replies

• It can't be done with a formula. You would need some sort of custom code.

- Andrew Lavinsky

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:16 AM
  • Hi msp admin,

Can you confirm the verison of Project Server that you are using please?

From what I understand, you are trying to create a Resource Level Custom Field which can assist to group resources by roles.  Please let me know if my understanding is incorrect.

To do this, create a lookup table with the different roles, and then create a resource level custom field linked to the lookup table.

To begin with I hope this helps.  Please provide further information so that we can assist you further.

Best Regards,

Dharmesh Patel

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:18 AM
  • Hi Dharmesh,

I'm using Project server 2007.

I want to create a Resource Custom field, not to group resources by Roles. But to have a field MANAGER for each resource.

When we choose Timesheet manager in any Resource page, and click on Browse,we get a whole list of All users in the application to choose from. I want to have that same list of users available for this custom field.

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:41 AM
  • Ah ok.

In understand what you are looking to achieve.  I do not think that this is possible.  However I will try this out for you.  What I am going to try is to create a resource level custom field with a formula to equal the timesheet manager.  I do not think that it is possible but I will give it a shout and see if it works.

I will get back to you as soon as I have done this.

Regards,

Dharmesh

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:15 AM
  • Hi msp admin,

OK I have just tried this for you, sorry but it does not seem like it is possible for you to be able to do this.

Sorry.  You could create  a field with a look up table and manually manage this list but I can see that this may become a admin overhead.  Apart from this I am not sure it is possible to do.  Sorry I was not able to give you a more positive answer.

Regards,

Dharmesh

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:34 AM
  • Hi Dharmesh,

No problem, thanks for trying it out anyways!!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:56 AM