none
IEAK11 customisations in FLAT msi file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I was wondering if somebody to advise me whether customisations created in IEAK 11 are stored within the msi file within the FLAT folder, or whether they are only applied by use of the ins file in the INS folder? I haven't many customisations but I was hoping to apply changes to the search providers without having to apply an ins file.

Thanks

Mark

Thursday, October 22, 2015 2:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

The update which you mentioned is intend to manage the search provider. When unknown changes applied to search provider, you are prompted by a notification bar.

If this update disturbs your normal use, you can uninstall it in Control Panel > Windows Updates > Installed Updates. Right click the updates and uninstall it.

Good luck with you.

Best Regards

Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 2:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, the customization settings are stored in ins file in INS folder. Of course, you can use it to apply some changes in Internet Explorer.

However, if you just want to restrict search providers, why don't you use group policy to meet your requirement? You can go to Group Policy Management, then click User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer. You will find the GPO "Restrict search providers to a specific list of providers", you can enable it and set the provider in the list.

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:07 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I am largely using Group Policy for everything but since KB2988414 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2988414) if I change the default search provider users get prompted "An unknown program would like to change your default search provider to ......" every time Group Policy refreshes. IEAK seems to be the only supported way of setting search provider defaults to something different. Regards, Mark
    Monday, November 2, 2015 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

The update which you mentioned is intend to manage the search provider. When unknown changes applied to search provider, you are prompted by a notification bar.

If this update disturbs your normal use, you can uninstall it in Control Panel > Windows Updates > Installed Updates. Right click the updates and uninstall it.

Good luck with you.

Best Regards

Simon 

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 2:16 AM