registry key for a virtual package RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

I have a sequenced package which i have added to my app-v server so that all the app-v client uses it...

I just wanted to know the registry entry which the package creates when launched on the client machine.

Thanks

Pranay.

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:16 AM

Answers

• Hello,

The recommended approach to verify such things is a WMI-provider, see this page;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843631.aspx

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:21 AM
  • hi aaron,

Found one location in the registry which did the job for me.

HKLM\Software\wow6432 Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\client\Applications\Adobe Reader X10.1.0.534

But i came across another problem :-

i am using virtual adobe reader & a third party app locally installed uses it for report generation

when adobe is installed locally the 3rd party app detects it but if adobe is virtual 3rd party app is not able to detect it.

please suggest.

Thanks

Pranay.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 4:53 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The recommended approach to verify such things is a WMI-provider, see this page;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843631.aspx

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:21 AM
  • hi znack,

This is not what i was searching for....

I wanted to know about the registry entry created by an app when launched on client machine & not the details of the app package...

Thanks

Pranay.

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:32 AM
  • Hello,

See this one instead;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc817118.aspx

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:38 AM
  • these are the details related to the package

does the package make any registry entry in the client machine

if yes,need the registry path...

Thanks

Pranay

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:54 AM
  • I read this more of what the app is creating, rather than the app-v client? (o/p needs to qualify really)

In which case, you can delta the package and usrvol/glblVol packages with something like PkgView

Look for UsrVol / GlblVol pkg files within

%APPDATA%\SoftGrid Client

and

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents\SoftGrid Client\AppFS Storage

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:56 AM
  • these are the details related to the package

does the package make any registry entry in the client machine

if yes,need the registry path...

This is entirely dependent on your application and environment. In general all registry changes that the application makes will remain inside the virtual environment and it won't make changes to the real registry.

See some discussion on this here: http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/just-how-do-exclusions-in-app-v-packages-work/

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, March 16, 2012 4:16 PM
  • hi aaron,

HKLM\Software\wow6432 Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\client\Applications\Adobe Reader X10.1.0.534

i am using virtual adobe reader & a third party app locally installed uses it for report generation

when adobe is installed locally the 3rd party app detects it but if adobe is virtual 3rd party app is not able to detect it.

please suggest.

Thanks

Pranay.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 4:53 AM
  • hi aaron,

OK, your original question didn't sound anything like you were after that - Znack's origninal response about WMI would be the preferred method, because if even those registry entries exist, it doesn't guarantee that the package is on the client

please suggest.

Thanks

Pranay.

See this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/501665d7-508a-4892-b7ce-a88ffb7f9a68

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:37 PM