unable to activate windows 7 KMS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we are using w2008 sp2 as host for KMS activation. I have installed KB968912 update to w2008 machine and applyed R2 key. Now i see VOLUME_KMS_R2_B channel on the server.

On the DNS server I manually added KMS activation host.

The problem is that Windows 7 is unable to activate to the host server.
    I tryed these commands on windows 7:
    slmgr -upk
    slmgr -rearm
    slmgr -ckms
    slmgr -skms server:1688

How can I activate w7 ? 

thanks
    aurimas 
    Monday, November 16, 2009 2:13 PM

Answers

• Hello Aurimas,

VAMT is giving the error "SKU is not supported" because the version you are using is 1.0 or 1.1 and its not compatible with windows server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 as the tool was released before them.

There is a higher version available VAMT 2.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=11936

Please let us know the error when you try to activate Windows Server 2008 KMS client.

MC Naveen Kannan | Support Engineer | Windows Server Setup Team | Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support |
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:34 AM

All replies

• Hello Aurimas_,

Hmm, why did you run slmgr -upk, that should need to be run except in very isolated circumstances, so I want to understand why it was run?
    It's really not adviseable to run this.

What error message are you getting?

In this sequence you removed the product key from the KMS client machine, I do not see the syntax for adding the product key back to the KMS client.
    By default, installation of Windows 7 with VL media using the appropriate KMS client setup key, this was uninstalled when you ran -upk.
    You need to install the KMS client setup key ( slmgr -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx), this will replace an existing product key key if one exists, so if the key was not correct to begin with this was the command that needed to be run. 
    The link contains a table with the KMS client setup keys
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772269.aspx

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:28 PM
  • On a side note of Darrell's comments from the Windows 7 machine can you "telnet <fqdn> 1688"" to the KMS Server? It should go to a blank telnet screen with flashing cursor in upper left hand corner. If not, there is something blocking network connectivity on port 1688 of either the client or server.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 9:30 PM
  • thanks guys for answer,

On the client side:

I installed.

Windows 7 Professional

Rebooted client pc, also tryed slmgr -ato,

slmgr -dli  shows:
    Time Remaining: 29 days.

On the server side slmgr -dlv shows:
    Current count: 1
    Total request received: 5
    Request with license status Initial Grace Period: 5

So now as I understand count on the server started and client received 30 day grace period. And as soon as count will reach 25 windows 7 machines will be activated ?
    On the client Computer properties I still see: 3 days until automatic activation....

Tanner, thaks for the advise, I tryed to connect to the server on 1688 port, but client freezes on "Connecting to Server....", but on the server I see session established on port 1688 with "netstat -a", so it seems is working

thanks alot
    aurimas
    • Edited by jori5 Thursday, December 24, 2009 9:47 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:29 AM
  • That is correct, when the client count reaches 25 KMS will start activating the clients. By default the client machines will show via the Computer Properties that it will automatically try to activate against, whether it's a MAK or KMS.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:34 PM
  • hi, guys,

I have installed "Volume Activation Management Tool" on my KMS host. Entered this computer to VAM and checked, it say: "SKU is not supported", unlicensed.

"slmgr /dlv" shows on same machine: 

Current count: 1
    Total request received: 68
    Failed requests received: 0

It is: VOLUME_KMS_R2_B channel.

Does it meens my KMS host works ok? because one of my W2008 servers failed to register on this host,

thanks
    aurimas
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:01 AM
  • any ideas? thanks

aurimas
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:03 AM
  • Hello Aurimas,

VAMT is giving the error "SKU is not supported" because the version you are using is 1.0 or 1.1 and its not compatible with windows server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 as the tool was released before them.

There is a higher version available VAMT 2.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=11936

Please let us know the error when you try to activate Windows Server 2008 KMS client.

MC Naveen Kannan | Support Engineer | Windows Server Setup Team | Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support |
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:34 AM