My computer will not start, there is error in the hard disc. RRS feed

• Question

• I can not start my computer, there is only coming up a message which is: There is an error at the hard disk, press alt+ctrl+del to continue. I can not use system restore to make it function because I cant point out my operating system. There is a sign coming when clicking at system restore but in the sign or if I shall call it window??? there is not any operating system pointed out. I can not use start reparation either. I have tried to reinstall the operating system on my computer which is Windows 7 home premium but that is impossible too as the computer is asking for the driving routine of the hard disk and I cant find it. To leave my computer to a computer repair is very expensive. What to do???

Kjell Svensson.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 11:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First let me know if you can do a disk-checking? If not, can you enter your BIOS? You can check in the settings to see if the hard drive is recognized by the BIOS. Don't make any changes at this time and "Discard Changes and Exit" when you are done.

The following suggestion would guide you how to check if the hard drive is recognized by the Bios.

Usually on the first tab of the BIOS ("Main") there is a "Storage Configuration" or "AHCI Configuration" and when you ENTER it there will be listed your available SATA ports . Working drives will be listed as "Hard Disk". None working drives and empty ports will show up as "Not Detected".

Also you can try to connect the disk to some other PC(e.g. by putting it inside an external USB case), then see if you can access it's files and folders.

Try to Install one of the numerous Disk diagnostic tool to scan your disk.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know.

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:52 PM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 9:42 AM

All replies

• Sounds like your harddrive is broken, to verify this look in bios if there are any hardrive test tools.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 10:54 PM
  • Did something out of the ordinary happen before this occurred? I.e. you dropped you computer, got a virus, computer is old, etc?

If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done. If you believe something to be true, then one day you will be called upon to demonstrate that truth.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Hi,

First let me know if you can do a disk-checking? If not, can you enter your BIOS? You can check in the settings to see if the hard drive is recognized by the BIOS. Don't make any changes at this time and "Discard Changes and Exit" when you are done.

The following suggestion would guide you how to check if the hard drive is recognized by the Bios.

Usually on the first tab of the BIOS ("Main") there is a "Storage Configuration" or "AHCI Configuration" and when you ENTER it there will be listed your available SATA ports . Working drives will be listed as "Hard Disk". None working drives and empty ports will show up as "Not Detected".

Also you can try to connect the disk to some other PC(e.g. by putting it inside an external USB case), then see if you can access it's files and folders.

Try to Install one of the numerous Disk diagnostic tool to scan your disk.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know.

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:52 PM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 9:42 AM